Default New VHF

"Capt. JG" wrote in message
ons...
"Edgar" wrote in message

"Capt. JG" wrote in message
tions...
Just picked up my new handheld.. HX850S. Very cool - DSC/GPS/6-watts.
Registed the MMSI number.

Now I have three handhelds, that one plus the HX350S and HX270S.... all
submersible.

http://picasaweb.google.com/SailNOW....20498028943010

Don't you have a fixed one at all? It can give you more than 6 watts
output you get from those handheld ones and if you also have a fixed
chartplotter in the boat they can be linked so that the VHF can send out
a distress call including your boat's id and exact location at a press
of a button. If the boom knocks you overboard unconscious with the
handheld in your pocket how are your crew going to call for help? I have
no problem with a hand held one for a backup but would not have one or
even two as my main sets.

I was interested in the seacock diagram on your site. Ignoring the
cockpit drains and exhaust outlet which are above the water line why are
all the underwater ones marked 'open' except for the head outtake?
Surely all underwate thruhulls should be shut when the boat is
unattended? Any one of them can sink the boat if the hose comes off.
I have a notice, encapsulated in plastic, on my boat, kept where nobody
can miss seeing it. It gives the location of all seacocks and makes it
clear that all are shut when the boat is left unattended (except for
short trips ashore)

All great questions....

I do have a fixed VHF aboard. It's an old ICOM, which works fine. It's on
my list for 2010 to replace with a DSC-enabled. Since the boat is so small
(30) and I rarely go offshore, even more rarely overnight (unless
anchored), and almost always have more than just one person up top, I'm
not concerned about being AWOL without someone noticing.

I don't have a chartplotter (and an AIS), sadly. It's not in my budget
until 2011 at least.

The 850 is my primary backup... I will be carrying it in my foulie pocket.
That's what I did with the 350, which will now be my secondary backup
below. The 270 is for the dinghy, should I need that and don't want to
take either of the other two (probably, I would take the 350, since it has
better battery life).

The ones marked open are when I'm there. Specifically, the head intake,
the sinks, the raw water.... They're closed normally when I'm not there
(except as you put it for short trips). I have them marked open, since I
do this before we leave the dock, and this is for customer/passenger
orientation. I keep a similar plastic-enclosed sheet in my orientation
book, which is revealed before we leave the dock. I have an emergency
check-off list displayed, but there's no reasonable place to put all the
boat orientation documents without papering the walls with them.

I think you should reconsider the head intake. The intake valve on the
head itself is obviously configured to let water in and therefore if you
leave it open when the boat may be heeled while sailing there is a strong
possibility of flooding, especially if the head is installed near the
waterline. On the other hand the head valve on the outlet is configured to
let stuff out and will block any water trying to come back in. Therefore,
although it may be a bigger looking pipe this is not the one you really have
to worry about, although this does not mean you should leave it open when
you quit the boat.

"Boeland" wrote in message
Brian Whatcott wrote:
Capt. JG wrote:
I've been thinking about getting a HAM... no time lately. It looks
pretty simple, especially since they've dropped the morse
requirements....

A ham test prep book: a little application with the practice tests
on-line and you are good to go. You CAN rip through several tests on a
test day - to hop from Technician to Extra in one bound.

Brian W

Are you referring to Ham TestOnline http://www.hamtestonline.com/ or to a
different one?

I did the free series a while ago... easy.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

"Dave" wrote in message
On Fri, 30 Jan 2009 14:22:12 -0800, "Capt. JG"
said:

I know, I know. I have a laptop, but it's a beast... 17" monitor, which I
use for work-stuff and another laptop, also for work. I would actually
have
to buy another laptop, which would put me in the techno-geek-nerd category
(well, higher up in the category). (I also have three base systems, one of
which is a Mac.)

I already have SeaClear on the 17" laptop, along with a bunch of rasters.
I'm just loath to haul it around and can't leave it on the boat.

My trusty but ancient Toshiba Libretto finally gave up the ghost last
year.
Picked up another one on Craig's list for next to nothing, and it works
fine
with SeaClear. It's just a little bit bigger than a paperback.

You picked up another Toshiba Libretto or another model? What OS does it
run?

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

"Edgar" wrote in message

"Capt. JG" wrote in message
ons...
"Edgar" wrote in message

"Capt. JG" wrote in message
[...]

While what you say is definitetly true, I don't usually close it for
"normal" day sail classes. We don't usually heel all that much for these, at
least not for more than a minute or so at a time. When I do the heavy
weather class in the bay or if we go offshore, then I do close it. The head
discharge is closed all the time, as I have a holding tank... it would never
be opened in normal circumstances... the valve is banded to prove it hasn't
been opened.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

"Dave" wrote in message
On Sat, 31 Jan 2009 10:09:32 -0800, "Capt. JG"
said:

You picked up another Toshiba Libretto or another model? What OS does it
run?

Another Libretto. My old one dual booted Win 98 and NT4. The replacement
is
running Win 98 IIRC, though I'm considering pulling the drive from my old
one and putting it on the replacement.

Do you think it can run XP? I can't stand any of the earlier ones, and I can
barely tolerate XP. I won't install Vista. I'd use linux, but that limits
the PC apps.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

Default laptops

In article ,
"Capt. JG" wrote:

Do you think it can run XP? I can't stand any of the earlier ones, and I can
barely tolerate XP. I won't install Vista. I'd use linux, but that limits
the PC apps.

The new Intel Macs (everything sold now) run XP really well, eg the
currently cheapest MacBook (the white one), and they are rather tough
(polycarbonate shell).
http://store.apple.com/us/browse/hom...ok?mco=MTE3MzM
Of course, a second hand one is fine as well.
You can boot them in XP just fine.

Or you can run Mac OS X, of course with less selection, but still a few
very useful apps for navigation.

They also triple boot Mac OS X, Windows XP, Ubuntu (for example) if you
like.

HTH

Marc

--
remove bye and from mercial to get valid e-mail
http://www.heusser.com

Boeland wrote:
Brian Whatcott wrote:
Capt. JG wrote:
I've been thinking about getting a HAM... no time lately. It looks
pretty simple, especially since they've dropped the morse
requirements....

A ham test prep book: a little application with the practice tests
on-line and you are good to go. You CAN rip through several tests on a
test day - to hop from Technician to Extra in one bound.

Brian W

Are you referring to Ham TestOnline http://www.hamtestonline.com/ or to
a different one?

That one seems to be fee-based.
Here are two good freebies:
http://www.qrz.com
http://www.eham.net/exams/

This one is also useful, if I recall...
http://ae9pw.com
It does the commercial too....

Brian Whatcott Altus OK

Default New VHF (Do you have a VHF broadcast license)

Wilbur Hubbard wrote:

He claims to sail to Baja from time to time. If he travels internationally
he is required by law to have them licensed. I doubt he has them licensed
because he has always had a shirklaw attitude. Typical liberal. The laws
exist for *other* people only.

BZZZT, nope.

Cheers
Martin

Brian Whatcott wrote:
Boeland wrote:
Brian Whatcott wrote:
Capt. JG wrote:
I've been thinking about getting a HAM... no time lately. It looks
pretty simple, especially since they've dropped the morse
requirements....

A ham test prep book: a little application with the practice tests
on-line and you are good to go. You CAN rip through several tests on
a test day - to hop from Technician to Extra in one bound.

Brian W

Are you referring to Ham TestOnline http://www.hamtestonline.com/ or
to a different one?

That one seems to be fee-based.
Here are two good freebies:
http://www.qrz.com
http://www.eham.net/exams/

This one is also useful, if I recall...
http://ae9pw.com
It does the commercial too....

Brian Whatcott Altus OK

Thanks for your suggestions.

"Dave" wrote in message
On Sat, 31 Jan 2009 13:04:20 -0800, "Capt. JG"
said:

Do you think it can run XP? I can't stand any of the earlier ones, and I
can
barely tolerate XP. I won't install Vista. I'd use linux, but that limits
the PC apps.

Probably not very well Those are pretty old machines. The advantages are
that it's cheap, and very small. You don't need a lot of horsepower to run
SeaClear.

Mine was set up to automatically start SeaClear on bootup.

Interesting... if I used it for just that then I wouldn't care I guess.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com