Default New VHF

Just picked up my new handheld.. HX850S. Very cool - DSC/GPS/6-watts.
Registed the MMSI number.

Now I have three handhelds, that one plus the HX350S and HX270S.... all
submersible.

http://picasaweb.google.com/SailNOW....20498028943010

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

On Thu, 29 Jan 2009 13:12:06 -0800, "Capt. JG"
wrote:

Just picked up my new handheld.. HX850S. Very cool - DSC/GPS/6-watts.
Registed the MMSI number.

Now I have three handhelds, that one plus the HX350S and HX270S.... all
submersible.

http://picasaweb.google.com/SailNOW....20498028943010

You'll find that if you try to use them under water, no one will be
able to make out what you are saying.

wrote:

Just picked up my new handheld.. HX850S. Very cool - DSC/GPS/6-watts.
Registed the MMSI number.

Now I have three handhelds, that one plus the HX350S and HX270S.... all
submersible.

http://picasaweb.google.com/SailNOW....20498028943010

You'll find that if you try to use them under water, no one will be
able to make out what you are saying.

Brillco, blobrruboub...

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

wrote:

Just picked up my new handheld.. HX850S. Very cool - DSC/GPS/6-watts.
Registed the MMSI number.

Now I have three handhelds, that one plus the HX350S and HX270S.... all
submersible.

http://picasaweb.google.com/SailNOW....20498028943010
You'll find that if you try to use them under water, no one will be
able to make out what you are saying.

That's not the point. He likes dropping them in the hot tub at the
bath house and then reaching down for them along with all the other
guys.

Really Fred, you sound very knowledgeable about bath houses. Tell me,
does this sort of thing occur often in them?

Cheers
Martin

wrote:

Just picked up my new handheld.. HX850S. Very cool - DSC/GPS/6-watts.
Registed the MMSI number.

Now I have three handhelds, that one plus the HX350S and HX270S.... all
submersible.

http://picasaweb.google.com/SailNOW....20498028943010
You'll find that if you try to use them under water, no one will be
able to make out what you are saying.

That's not the point. He likes dropping them in the hot tub at the
bath house and then reaching down for them along with all the other
guys.

Really Fred, you sound very knowledgeable about bath houses. Tell me, does
this sort of thing occur often in them?

Cheers
Martin

Now that's funny.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

"Capt. JG" wrote in message
tions...
Just picked up my new handheld.. HX850S. Very cool - DSC/GPS/6-watts.
Registed the MMSI number.

Now I have three handhelds, that one plus the HX350S and HX270S.... all
submersible.

http://picasaweb.google.com/SailNOW....20498028943010

Don't you have a fixed one at all? It can give you more than 6 watts output
you get from those handheld ones and if you also have a fixed chartplotter
in the boat they can be linked so that the VHF can send out a distress call
including your boat's id and exact location at a press of a button. If the
boom knocks you overboard unconscious with the handheld in your pocket how
are your crew going to call for help? I have no problem with a hand held
one for a backup but would not have one or even two as my main sets.

I was interested in the seacock diagram on your site. Ignoring the cockpit
drains and exhaust outlet which are above the water line why are all the
underwater ones marked 'open' except for the head outtake? Surely all
underwate thruhulls should be shut when the boat is unattended? Any one of
them can sink the boat if the hose comes off.
I have a notice, encapsulated in plastic, on my boat, kept where nobody can
miss seeing it. It gives the location of all seacocks and makes it clear
that all are shut when the boat is left unattended (except for short trips
ashore)

"Edgar" wrote in message

"Capt. JG" wrote in message
tions...
[...]

All great questions....

I do have a fixed VHF aboard. It's an old ICOM, which works fine. It's on my
list for 2010 to replace with a DSC-enabled. Since the boat is so small (30)
and I rarely go offshore, even more rarely overnight (unless anchored), and
almost always have more than just one person up top, I'm not concerned about
being AWOL without someone noticing.

I don't have a chartplotter (and an AIS), sadly. It's not in my budget until
2011 at least.

The 850 is my primary backup... I will be carrying it in my foulie pocket.
That's what I did with the 350, which will now be my secondary backup below.
The 270 is for the dinghy, should I need that and don't want to take either
of the other two (probably, I would take the 350, since it has better
battery life).

The ones marked open are when I'm there. Specifically, the head intake, the
sinks, the raw water.... They're closed normally when I'm not there (except
as you put it for short trips). I have them marked open, since I do this
before we leave the dock, and this is for customer/passenger orientation. I
keep a similar plastic-enclosed sheet in my orientation book, which is
revealed before we leave the dock. I have an emergency check-off list
displayed, but there's no reasonable place to put all the boat orientation
documents without papering the walls with them.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

Capt. JG wrote:

I don't have a chartplotter (and an AIS), sadly. It's not in my budget until
2011 at least.

You've got a laptop; there's no reason not to have a chartplotter.

You can get Bluetooth GPS puck, or even a USB puck for about 40 bucks,
SeaClear II is free, raster charts (BSB) are free from NOAA.

I have an articulated monitor arm bolted to the inside of the aft saloon
bulkhead beside the companionway that lets me extend a slave LCD display
into the companionway visible from the cockpit. I also I a Bluetooth
trackball that I can use from the cockpit, so the lap stays inside high
and dry. If things start to get wet it's simple to push the slave screen
back into the cockpit out of the weather.

Cheers
Martin

"Marty" wrote in message
Capt. JG wrote:

I don't have a chartplotter (and an AIS), sadly. It's not in my budget
until 2011 at least.

You've got a laptop; there's no reason not to have a chartplotter.

You can get Bluetooth GPS puck, or even a USB puck for about 40 bucks,
SeaClear II is free, raster charts (BSB) are free from NOAA.

I have an articulated monitor arm bolted to the inside of the aft saloon
bulkhead beside the companionway that lets me extend a slave LCD display
into the companionway visible from the cockpit. I also I a Bluetooth
trackball that I can use from the cockpit, so the lap stays inside high
and dry. If things start to get wet it's simple to push the slave screen
back into the cockpit out of the weather.

Cheers
Martin

I know, I know. I have a laptop, but it's a beast... 17" monitor, which I
use for work-stuff and another laptop, also for work. I would actually have
to buy another laptop, which would put me in the techno-geek-nerd category
(well, higher up in the category). (I also have three base systems, one of
which is a Mac.)

I already have SeaClear on the 17" laptop, along with a bunch of rasters.
I'm just loath to haul it around and can't leave it on the boat.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

Default New VHF (Do you have a VHF broadcast license)

"Capt. JG" wrote in message
tions...
Just picked up my new handheld.. HX850S. Very cool - DSC/GPS/6-watts.
Registed the MMSI number.

Now I have three handhelds, that one plus the HX350S and HX270S.... all
submersible.

http://picasaweb.google.com/SailNOW....20498028943010

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

I bet he doesn't have a license for them.

Wilbur Hubbard