Edgar Edgar is offline

Default New VHF

"Capt. JG" wrote in message
tions...
Just picked up my new handheld.. HX850S. Very cool - DSC/GPS/6-watts.
Registed the MMSI number.

Now I have three handhelds, that one plus the HX350S and HX270S.... all
submersible.

http://picasaweb.google.com/SailNOW....20498028943010

Don't you have a fixed one at all? It can give you more than 6 watts output
you get from those handheld ones and if you also have a fixed chartplotter
in the boat they can be linked so that the VHF can send out a distress call
including your boat's id and exact location at a press of a button. If the
boom knocks you overboard unconscious with the handheld in your pocket how
are your crew going to call for help? I have no problem with a hand held
one for a backup but would not have one or even two as my main sets.

I was interested in the seacock diagram on your site. Ignoring the cockpit
drains and exhaust outlet which are above the water line why are all the
underwater ones marked 'open' except for the head outtake? Surely all
underwate thruhulls should be shut when the boat is unattended? Any one of
them can sink the boat if the hose comes off.
I have a notice, encapsulated in plastic, on my boat, kept where nobody can
miss seeing it. It gives the location of all seacocks and makes it clear
that all are shut when the boat is left unattended (except for short trips
ashore)