Dick Locke

Default Latitude 38 doesn't like Globalstar

The latest issue of Latitude 38 has an article by the editor/publisher
saying their boat's Globalstar phone didn't work off the
Mexican/Central American west coast between Acapulco and the Panama
Canal, didn't work from the Canal to the eastern Caribbean and only
worked sporadically in the Eastern Caribbean. They call the Globalstar
coverage map a work of fiction.

They report that others said Iridium always worked.

Oh, and they liked their Skymate email system.

Does anyone have a contrary opinion?
Glenn Ashmore

I found that out the hard way. VERY sporatic coverage in the Leewards.
I rent an Iridium when sailing the Eastern Caribbean and it has not
failed me yet.

--
Glenn Ashmore

there of) at: http://www.rutuonline.com

Wayne.B

On Thu, 10 Jun 2004 12:07:58 -0400, Glenn Ashmore
wrote:
I rent an Iridium when sailing the Eastern Caribbean and it has not
failed me yet.

=================================

What kind of data rate do you get with Iridium? Do you dial up an
internet connection or do they have a data/IP mode?

Glenn Ashmore

DATA RATE!!!??? I sit in front of 3 tubes all day long solving computer
problems. When I get down island the LAST thing I want to worry about
is data rates. :-) Actually I have never tried the comm adaptor. I
just call in to check the phone mail and then offer advice between sips
of pain killer. :-)

wrote:

I rent an Iridium when sailing the Eastern Caribbean and it has not
failed me yet.

=================================

What kind of data rate do you get with Iridium? Do you dial up an
internet connection or do they have a data/IP mode?

--
Glenn Ashmore

there of) at: http://www.rutuonline.com

Wayne.B

On Fri, 11 Jun 2004 13:46:59 -0400, Glenn Ashmore
wrote:
Actually I have never tried the comm adaptor. I
just call in to check the phone mail and then offer advice between sips
of pain killer. :-)

Unbelievable!

Actually I understand perfectly but I would like to be abe to get
EMAIL and internet weather info while in the boondocks.

Graeme Cook

Hi all

I have just sailed from New Zealand to Tasmania, Australia and found the
Iridium coverage to be attrocious. No signal about 70% of time and then
when we got a connection drop out was over 90%.
Also friends who tried to call us have complained of high charges ($10 to
$15) for calls that were not connected.

Fair winds

Graeme

wrote:
I rent an Iridium when sailing the Eastern Caribbean and it has not
failed me yet.

=================================

What kind of data rate do you get with Iridium? Do you dial up an
internet connection or do they have a data/IP mode?

Kelton Joyner

InstalI an Icom 710 HF radio, an antenna turner, backstay insulators a
Pactor IIe, and subscribe to Sailmail ( http://www.sailmail.com/ ). You
will have weather fax, email, and Marine band communications. Get a
General ham ticket and use winlink for email for free as well as chat on
the ham cruising bands.
Kelton
s/v Isle Escape

wrote:

Actually I have never tried the comm adaptor. I
just call in to check the phone mail and then offer advice between sips
of pain killer. :-)

Unbelievable!

Actually I understand perfectly but I would like to be abe to get
EMAIL and internet weather info while in the boondocks.

Ace-high

You forgot to mention the hours of waiting for a clear connection on
Sailmail. Friends of ours in MX have read lots of books waiting to
connect.