Default winchers

Anybody tried these rubber things that go on regular winches to make
them self tailing?
Gordon

Gordon wrote:
Anybody tried these rubber things that go on regular winches to make
them self tailing?
Gordon

The person I bought my boat from said they are great, and he
circumnavigated with them. I haven't tried them yet so can't say for
myself.
boeland

"Boeland" wrote in message
Gordon wrote:
Anybody tried these rubber things that go on regular winches to make
them self tailing?
Gordon

The person I bought my boat from said they are great, and he
circumnavigated with them. I haven't tried them yet so can't say for
myself.
boeland

They're better than nothing. If you have experience with self-tailers, you
won't call them great. Another data point... they degrade in the sun after a
few seasons. Found that out myself.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

On Thu, 15 Jan 2009 20:17:41 -0800, "Capt. JG"
wrote:

They're better than nothing. If you have experience with self-tailers, you
won't call them great. Another data point... they degrade in the sun after a
few seasons.

Yes on both points. We installed them on our old 28 footer many
years ago and never found them to be very satisfactory. The main
problem is that they do not strip line off the top of the winch drum
the way a proper self tailer does. I'd never trust them to be a
substitute for a cleat for more than a few seconds.

wrote:

They're better than nothing. If you have experience with self-tailers, you
won't call them great. Another data point... they degrade in the sun after a
few seasons.

Yes on both points. We installed them on our old 28 footer many
years ago and never found them to be very satisfactory. The main
problem is that they do not strip line off the top of the winch drum
the way a proper self tailer does. I'd never trust them to be a
substitute for a cleat for more than a few seconds.

somebody needs to put the line stripper IN THE WINCH HANDLE so that in
combination with the "Wincher" it is more like self tailing. However,
I speak from ignorance because I have never used a self tailing winch.

wrote:

They're better than nothing. If you have experience with self-tailers, you
won't call them great. Another data point... they degrade in the sun after a
few seasons.

Yes on both points. We installed them on our old 28 footer many
years ago and never found them to be very satisfactory. The main
problem is that they do not strip line off the top of the winch drum
the way a proper self tailer does. I'd never trust them to be a
substitute for a cleat for more than a few seconds.

somebody needs to put the line stripper IN THE WINCH HANDLE so that in
combination with the "Wincher" it is more like self tailing. However,
I speak from ignorance because I have never used a self tailing winch.

It will not work, because if a winch is a of two speed variety the
handle will turn to different direction of the different speeds. If
there is some gearbox, the handle will anyway go faster than the drum.

Then the stripper in a selftailing winch is stationary and the handle of
course is not stationary.

- Lauri Tarkkonen

wrote:

They're better than nothing. If you have experience with self-tailers,
you
won't call them great. Another data point... they degrade in the sun
after a
few seasons.

Yes on both points. We installed them on our old 28 footer many
years ago and never found them to be very satisfactory. The main
problem is that they do not strip line off the top of the winch drum
the way a proper self tailer does. I'd never trust them to be a
substitute for a cleat for more than a few seconds.

somebody needs to put the line stripper IN THE WINCH HANDLE so that in
combination with the "Wincher" it is more like self tailing. However,
I speak from ignorance because I have never used a self tailing winch.

Self-tailing winches are the cat's pajamas. You can use both hands on the
winch if you need to, or you can winch with one hand and sip your favorite
bevvy with the other. On my 30 ketch, my winches are fairly small as my sail
areas are also fairly small, and while it would be nice to have self-tailing
jib winches, I'll not upgrade just to get that advantage. When my current
jib winches wear out, however, their replacements will be self-tailing.

On our previous boat, the halyard winch (mounted on a vertical pad on the
mast) was not self tailing. It was tedious raising the main once you needed
the winch for the last 15 to 20 feet, because you had to stop winching and
grab the tail each 2 feet or so.

With a Wincher installed, I could winch without pause because every second
or third rotation of the handle, I would just slap a bit of the tail off the
drum without slowing down.

So for this application, I'd say the wincher was quite effective. That it
was mounted on the mast made it easier to do what I did, and that there was
so much line to be winched made it that much more valuable. I had
selftailers for primaries, so never had to consider a Wincher there.

news

"Garland Gray" wrote in message
On our previous boat, the halyard winch (mounted on a vertical pad on the
mast) was not self tailing. It was tedious raising the main once you
needed the winch for the last 15 to 20 feet, because you had to stop
winching and grab the tail each 2 feet or so.

With a Wincher installed, I could winch without pause because every second
or third rotation of the handle, I would just slap a bit of the tail off
the drum without slowing down.

So for this application, I'd say the wincher was quite effective. That it
was mounted on the mast made it easier to do what I did, and that there
was so much line to be winched made it that much more valuable. I had
selftailers for primaries, so never had to consider a Wincher there.

"Gordon" wrote in message
news
Anybody tried these rubber things that go on regular winches to make
them self tailing?
Gordon

Actually, that's a great idea. I was thinking about putting a self-tailer on
my main halyard winch, but I'm too cheap to buy one. Not sure why I didn't
think of it myself.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com