Default Flying Pig Float Plan

Flying Pig Float Plan

We'll be leaving for the Bahamas in less than an hour, bucking the
tide on the way out Miami's Government Cut, but taking advantage of
the lack of cruise ships allowing us direct access to the ocean.

Once out of the breakwaters, we'll head generally southeast, riding
the Gulf Stream to somewhere on the Bahama Banks. We estimate arrival
early morning and will cross into the banks at whatever convenient
location the stream and our progress has taken us - likely north of
Bimini, or Hen and Chickens area, but perhaps as south as Gun Cay..

From there we'll proceed on Explorer Charts' rhumblines over the
Mackie Bank or Shoal to the Northwest Channel Light entering the
Tongue of the Ocean, likely at dark.

Likewise, we'll follow the Explorer Charts' rhumblines from there to
Nassau, where we'll check in at Yacht Haven, grumbling, no doubt,
about weekend surcharges for the customs people.

Weather at this time appears that we'll drive the entire way, getting
only minimal benefit from the wind until we're nearly there. The
upside is that the Gulf Stream promises to be very comfortable.

Look for updates sometime Sunday PM or Monday AM; those so connected
can watch our progress on the SPOT page (http://tinyurl.com/
FlyingPigSpotTracking)...

L8R

Skip and crew

--
Morgan 461 #2
SV Flying Pig KI4MPC

away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails.
Explore.
Dream. Discover." - Mark Twain

Bob Bob is offline

On Dec 19, 10:12*pm, Skip Gundlach wrote:
Flying Pig Float Plan

We'll be leaving for the Bahamas in less than an hour, bucking the
tide on the way out Miami's Government Cut, but taking advantage of
the lack of cruise ships allowing us direct access to the ocean.

1) leaving port on a Friday ?!?!?!

2) At night ????

3) Against the tide ?!??!!?

I give up............. You win skip.
Bob

"Bob" wrote in message
On Dec 19, 10:12 pm, Skip Gundlach wrote:
Flying Pig Float Plan

We'll be leaving for the Bahamas in less than an hour, bucking the
tide on the way out Miami's Government Cut, but taking advantage of
the lack of cruise ships allowing us direct access to the ocean.

: 1) leaving port on a Friday ?!?!?!
:
: 2) At night ????
:
: 3) Against the tide ?!??!!?
:
:
: I give up............. You win skip.
: Bob

Skippy is no sailor. He proves it every time he opens his big mouth. He
might as well just get it over with and buy a trawler. The good news,
however, is he bypassed the Keys. At least I won't have to be reading about
his stupidity in the local papers for weeks on end as was the case last year
when he passed through here. And, another very good thing is he won't find
Internet access many places in the Bahamas so we won't be 'treated' to as
many of his encyclopedia-length trip reports. keeping fingers crossed

Wilbur Hubbard

On Dec 20, 1:01*pm, "Wilbur Hubbard"
wrote:
"Bob" wrote in message

[...]

Heh. No such luck. We're here...

L8R

Skip

On Dec 20, 1:56*am, Bob wrote:
On Dec 19, 10:12*pm, Skip Gundlach wrote:

Flying Pig Float Plan
We'll be leaving for the Bahamas in less than an hour, bucking the
tide on the way out Miami's Government Cut, but taking advantage of
the lack of cruise ships allowing us direct access to the ocean.

1) leaving port on a Friday ?!?!?!

2) At night ????

3) Against the tide ?!??!!?

I give up............. You win skip.
Bob

Heh. I can't win. Wilbur claims one always leaves on an incoming
tide, so when you get stuck, the tide lifts you off.

As to Friday, it's just another day. If I let all the superstitions
get in my way, I'd be frozen in place.

And, in case you weren't paying attention, I came in to Miami in the
night (well, technically, predawn in the morning). What's the big
deal???

And being a left-coaster, I'll forgive you for not knowing that one
always does the Gulf Stream to the Bahamas at night so as to arrive on
the banks with good light. Meanwhile, we're here, and had an entirely
uneventful passage (other than the monster fish which got away, which
you'll hear about in the log)...

L8R

Skip, still up at this ridiculous hour...

On Sun, 21 Dec 2008 21:29:51 -0800 (PST), Skip Gundlach
wrote:

On Dec 20, 1:56*am, Bob wrote:
[...]

On the other hand, Skip is out on the water and Willie the Wiseman is
sitting on the shore.... sort of gives you an idea of who is the
sailor doesn't it.

Cheers,

Bruce
(bruceinbangkokatgmaildotcom)