Default Hunter 25 in need of TLC

My kid picked up a neglected 80's Hunter 25 for cheap yesterday.
Is this an off shore boat? Could it get to the Bahamas and back?

Thanks

Brian W

Brian Whatcott wrote:
My kid picked up a neglected 80's Hunter 25 for cheap yesterday.
Is this an off shore boat?

Not at all.

Could it get to the Bahamas and back?

Well, after reading "Endurance: Shackleton's Incredible Voyage" I am of
the opinion that with enough knowledge and ability anyone can get any
boat anywhere in just about any conditions.

If he's not a world class sailor and navigator, I wouldn't recommend
that boat for that purpose.

Stephen

On Dec 19, 9:59 pm, Stephen Trapani wrote:
Brian Whatcott wrote:
My kid picked up a neglected 80's Hunter 25 for cheap yesterday.
Is this an off shore boat?

Not at all.

Could it get to the Bahamas and back?

Well, after reading "Endurance: Shackleton's Incredible Voyage" I am of
the opinion that with enough knowledge and ability anyone can get any
boat anywhere in just about any conditions.

If he's not a world class sailor and navigator, I wouldn't recommend
that boat for that purpose.

Stephen

I think a Hunter 25 would be a reasonable Bahamas boat. Why not?

On Fri, 19 Dec 2008 20:05:25 -0600, Brian Whatcott
wrote:

My kid picked up a neglected 80's Hunter 25 for cheap yesterday.
Is this an off shore boat? Could it get to the Bahamas and back?

Thanks

Brian W

If I remember correctly two guys rowed a dory across the N. Atlantic,
so why not a Hunter to the Bahamas?
Cheers,

Bruce
(bruceinbangkokatgmaildotcom)

wrote:

My kid picked up a neglected 80's Hunter 25 for cheap yesterday.
Is this an off shore boat? Could it get to the Bahamas and back?

On the right day, no problem.

Any other time, hang out with the 50 and 60 footers who are also
waiting for the right weather.

Have you ever seen 20 ft breaking seas ?

http://img384.imageshack.us/img384/2...lbowcayrk2.jpg

Wayne.B wrote in
:

http://img384.imageshack.us/img384/2...lbowcayrk2.jpg

Needs a bigger picture so download times can be in hours for the guys on
the docks trying to look at it.....

Brian Whatcott wrote:
My kid picked up a neglected 80's Hunter 25 for cheap yesterday.
Is this an off shore boat? Could it get to the Bahamas and back?

Hunters are lightly built boats so your son needs to do a really
complete checkout of the entire boat before setting sail to anywhere he
can't swim back from. That said, when new, this boat would be fine for,
say FL to the Bahamas. If you mean is it reasonable for a trip from
Africa to the Bahamas, I'd say not.

Others have pointed out that dories have crossed the Atlantic. Hell,
rafts have. However, those 'cokleshell' boats are highly seaworthy -
much more so than a Hunter which really is a coastal cruiser sort of craft.

Mostly these boats are cheap, stylish and disposable. The latter is what
your son needs to pay attention to. The Sell By date on this one may be
long gone.

On Fri, 19 Dec 2008 18:59:28 -0800, Stephen Trapani
wrote:

Brian Whatcott wrote:
My kid picked up a neglected 80's Hunter 25 for cheap yesterday.
Is this an off shore boat?

Not at all.

Could it get to the Bahamas and back?

If he's not a world class sailor and navigator, I wouldn't recommend
that boat for that purpose.

Stephen

Thanks for the tip.

Brian W

On Sat, 20 Dec 2008 08:44:20 -0700, slide
wrote:

Brian Whatcott wrote:
My kid picked up a neglected 80's Hunter 25 for cheap yesterday.
Is this an off shore boat? Could it get to the Bahamas and back?

Hunters are lightly built boats so your son needs to do a really
complete checkout of the entire boat before setting sail to anywhere he
can't swim back from. That said, when new, this boat would be fine for,
say FL to the Bahamas. If you mean is it reasonable for a trip from
Africa to the Bahamas, I'd say not.

Others have pointed out that dories have crossed the Atlantic. Hell,
rafts have. However, those 'cokleshell' boats are highly seaworthy -
much more so than a Hunter which really is a coastal cruiser sort of craft.

Mostly these boats are cheap, stylish and disposable. The latter is what
your son needs to pay attention to. The Sell By date on this one may be
long gone.

Ha! The price certainly seemed in line with your description!
Thanks

Brian W

wrote:

My kid picked up a neglected 80's Hunter 25 for cheap yesterday.
Is this an off shore boat? Could it get to the Bahamas and back?

Thanks

Brian W

If I remember correctly two guys rowed a dory across the N. Atlantic,
so why not a Hunter to the Bahamas?

There was the guy who crossed E to W in a Fol-Bot. Cost $1.86 for the
Panama Canal, they went strictly by tonnage those days.

Casady

FS: HUnter 43 in NY Capt. Rob Marketplace 0 October 30th 05 06:49 PM
Hunter 40 Mark Cruising 2 June 7th 04 07:27 PM
FS: Hunter 40 in NY Bobsprit Marketplace 0 May 18th 04 01:02 PM
FS: Hunter 40 in NY Bobsprit Marketplace 2 May 9th 04 02:00 PM
Hunter 28 nova General 2 August 21st 03 02:39 AM