Mark

Default Hunter 40

I am considering the purchase of a 1989 Huter 40 Legend. I really
like the boat and it should fit my needs for years to come. However I
do not like the traveler located at the companionway. I am wondering
if it would be possible to replace this with a radar arch type of
set-up. I understand that this would have to be very substantial in
order to both carry and spread the load adequatly. Does anyone have
any experience with this type of set-up.

Thanks, Mark
BF

I've chartered a Hunter 42 Center Cockpit with a stainless arch and
traveler. The same part might work on a 40. Of course the 40 will need
reinforcement at the attachment to the deck. Might work, might not.

Ray

"Mark" wrote in message
om...
I am considering the purchase of a 1989 Huter 40 Legend. I really
like the boat and it should fit my needs for years to come. However I
do not like the traveler located at the companionway. I am wondering
if it would be possible to replace this with a radar arch type of
set-up. I understand that this would have to be very substantial in
order to both carry and spread the load adequatly. Does anyone have
any experience with this type of set-up.

Thanks, Mark

G.rivera

I have owned a 40 for 20 yrs and cruised more than 15k miles to the Carib
more than once and found the traveler not to be a problem once you become
accustom to it. I too investigated moving the traveler to an arch similar to
the 42 however the engineering and sail modification to do so are very
extensive.

The sail must be redesigned after the boom toggle is moved higher to allow
proper boom adjustments with the traveler mounted 5 ft higher than the
original location. The arch requires at least three mounting points on each
side with substantial backing plates to take the loads.

All in all I decided it was not cost justifiable to move the traveler and
have come to like the location and live with it comfortably - I lived aboard
for more than 15 yrs .

Hope this helps
om...

Hunter, Vision 36 Mark Cruising 1 May 7th 04 03:28 PM
Last chance to save me! ;-) Hunter 33' Yanmar 20hp I think Stephen Trapani Cruising 3 May 3rd 04 12:14 PM
Refrigeration Hunter 35.5 install Ron Cruising 5 October 25th 03 10:08 PM
Hunter 28.5 Baybyter Cruising 6 October 21st 03 07:22 PM