Default Gel coat Blisters below water line, forward, near bow

Wayne.B wrote in
:

On Thu, 11 Dec 2008 20:41:47 +0000, Larry wrote:

I don't ever remember seeing
a blister on the cheapest boats like Bayliner, but I suppose stuff
happens.

They typically fail from stringer or transom rot, sometimes decks,
floors or bulkheads.

Once again, we're all showing our ages by assuming, wrongly I believe, that
there ARE stringers and wooden transoms, which I don't think is the case
any more with that chopper gun spraying into the mold. When I was watching
him do it, here, I didn't see any wood to rot at all!

They were wood when we had that wonderful hand laid fiberglass we were
taught was of such high quality....which it obviously wasn't as it rotted.

On Fri, 12 Dec 2008 01:33:52 +0000, Larry wrote:

Wayne.B wrote in
:

On Thu, 11 Dec 2008 20:41:47 +0000, Larry wrote:

I don't ever remember seeing
a blister on the cheapest boats like Bayliner, but I suppose stuff
happens.

They typically fail from stringer or transom rot, sometimes decks,
floors or bulkheads.

Once again, we're all showing our ages by assuming, wrongly I believe, that
there ARE stringers and wooden transoms, which I don't think is the case
any more with that chopper gun spraying into the mold. When I was watching
him do it, here, I didn't see any wood to rot at all!

They were wood when we had that wonderful hand laid fiberglass we were
taught was of such high quality....which it obviously wasn't as it rotted.

Plenty of boats are hand-laid glass.
The lowly Mac 26 for one.
They still have balsa too, I think, but there are boats now using
non-rotting composites for transoms/stringers.
Ranger for one, I believe, maybe Carolina Skiff.
Chopper-guns are avoided by quality boat makers.
It pays to know how any boat you're considering was put together.
Balsa/plywood rot is a hell of a lot more serious problem than
blisters.
That's what I've read, anyway. Never saw a boat blister in person.

--Vic

On Dec 11, 2:00*pm, Wayne.B wrote:
On Thu, 11 Dec 2008 12:51:41 GMT, "Janet O'Leary"

wrote:
For you experts:: *if a boat has a few,, blisters in the gel below
water line, forward toward the bow ??

Is this a "run away fast" boat?

Or,, are the blisters a fix it item.

It depends.

Here's a good starting point:

http://www.yachtsurvey.com/BuyingBlisterBoat.htm

More he

http://www.yachtsurvey.com/blisters.htm

FWIW, I happen to know the subject Morgan 46 this surveyor trashed.
Not mine, but a friend who shall remain nameless - and the boat is one
I'd love to have. I've also peeled back many layers of delam from
blisters on our boat over time, not to mention the wreck's delam. The
blisters weren't enough to sink a boat - but Don Casey, whose opinion
I respect, has interesting things to say about moisture and
delamination and the potential for serious damage. His info suggests
water in, rather than out of, the boat, is more serious an issue WRT
delam...

Not seeing the boat, I'd have to say it's not a problem, based on the
description. We ground out and repaired 800 on ours before we
launched. Following that, it survived a rather spectacular wreck...

L8R

Skip and Crew

Why are you asking these 1980's questions? The answer to all your
queries is the same... rub some cowflap on your cheeks and it will all
go away.

On Thu, 11 Dec 2008 20:53:10 -0600, Vic Smith
wrote:

They still have balsa too, I think, but there are boats now using
non-rotting composites for transoms/stringers.

The original question was about Bayliners. The vast majority, of not
all, have plywood transoms and stringers. Some of their bulkeads are
fibreboard.

Vic Smith wrote in
:

That's what I've read, anyway. Never saw a boat blister in person.

I don't think I've seen a single sailboat hauled out in Charleston without
them. Our water is awful warm all summer and full of prehistoric critters
that bite like hell when cleaned out of the air conditioner strainers at
the dock. Any marina here is a massive ecosystem unto itself, dispite
everyone peeing over the side and dumping crap down the sink. The crabbing
under the dock is rated OUTSTANDING for Blue Crabs....yum...yum!

MMC MMC is offline

wrote in message
Why are you asking these 1980's questions? The answer to all your
queries is the same... rub some cowflap on your cheeks and it will all
go away.

Maybe she's a 1980's kind of girl...

On Dec 12, 9:45 am, "mmc" wrote:
wrote in message

... Why are you asking these 1980's questions? The answer to all your
queries is the same... rub some cowflap on your cheeks and it will all
go away.

Maybe she's a 1980's kind of girl...

On a list of the top 100 things that affect sailing ability, gel coat
blisters would not even make it on the list.
One could probably come up with 100 ways to improve sailing ability on
the average cruising boat more than getting rid of blisters.
A good example, most cruising boats are compromises, I happen to have
a shoal keel for cruising the shallow N. Gulf of Mexico whereas a deep
keel would give seriously better sailing performance. Absence of
blisters would make an insignificant change in performance and gel
coat blisters are not a structural or safety issue so I would not even
consider them in whether to buy a boat or not.

Frogwatch wrote:
On a list of the top 100 things that affect sailing ability, gel coat
blisters would not even make it on the list.
One could probably come up with 100 ways to improve sailing ability on
the average cruising boat more than getting rid of blisters.

Considering the condition of the average cruising boat, you're
probably right.

A good example, most cruising boats are compromises, I happen to have
a shoal keel for cruising the shallow N. Gulf of Mexico whereas a deep
keel would give seriously better sailing performance.

Not in your area. Running aground more often is not a way to improve
performance.... in your case I'd say you made a wise compromise! A big
centerboard or lifting keel can do both, but involves more maintenance
and/or structural issues and/or reduced accomodation.

... *Absence of
blisters would make an insignificant change in performance and gel
coat blisters are not a structural or safety issue so I would not even
consider them in whether to buy a boat or not.

But you'd consider the potential impact if they were serious blisters
in the laminate, and take the time to investigate. Time is money! And
if you were to consider making an offer, you'd make it less. Be
realistic!

Fresh Breezes- Doug King

On Dec 12, 10:09 pm, wrote:
Frogwatch wrote:
[...]

Even with a shoal keel I figure that if I dont run aground most times
I go "gunkholing" I am not having much fun. All the cool places are
in shallow water. Running aground abrades the barnacles off so you
get more time between bottom painting.