Capt. Frank Hopkins

Default Through-hull and main water pickup line.

We recently had an interesting time at the marina when a fellow dropped
a group 24 battery on a plastic through hull fitting. A quick SNAP and
it made a beautiful fountain.You would be suprised how FAST the engine
compartment filled. We were bailing fast as politicians from a sinking
plaform, but got it under control. My gas powered portable AG pump is
what saved the day. ($279.00 at harbor freight tools see at link below
you need a $50 hose too.)

I recommend the little pump to anyone that has a boat worth pumping out.

Capt. Frank

Donny wrote:

On Tue, 20 May 2003 11:56:39 -0500, "Keith"
wrote:

Stick with Bronze. BTW, it sounds as if you have a thru-hull, then some
connecting stuff then the ball valve, correct? That stands a pretty good
chance of getting broken off at some point by someone stepping on it...
leverage and all. You might think about putting a seacock there instead of
all that plumbing if you're out of the water.

Hi Keith,

I have a through hull, then a 90 degree elbow, then a valve. Reason
for this is that my main water pickup line is right under the engine.
A pain to get to, but nobody's gonna step on it.

What have you heard about the plastic ones?

Thanks
Donny

'74 Trojan Sea Raider 25'

http://www.PictureTrail.com/gid1456207

http://www.trojanboats.net/toppage3.htm

http://thebayguide.com/rec.boats/donny_bennett.html

http://www.nymarinesurveyor.com/samp...20surveys.html

Gould 0738

We recently had an interesting time at the marina when a fellow dropped
a group 24 battery on a plastic through hull fitting. A quick SNAP and
it made a beautiful fountain.You would be suprised how FAST the engine
compartment filled. We were bailing fast as politicians from a sinking
plaform, but got it under control. My gas powered portable AG pump is
what saved the day. ($279.00 at harbor freight tools see at link below
you need a $50 hose too.)

I recommend the little pump to anyone that has a boat worth pumping out.

Capt. Frank

Everybody should carry a few tapered wooden plugs. I know hwere there are a few
stowed in my engine room, even with bronze through hulls. I'm just positive
that if I ever have the bad luck to snap a hose, the luck will just as likely
be bad enough to have the sea cock frozen.