JAXAshby

Default Protecting against sal****er

so, ricky, not a thing you claimed prior is true except what? your choices

-- ATP
-- ag pilot
-- Merchant Marine
-- thief of plywood
-- ten year liveaboard in Mexico
-- senior construction site manager
-- you are an expert in a downwind turns
-- age 35
-- male

ricky, ag pilots know the danger of a downwind turn, ATPs (stupidly and in

the
face of the laws of physics) claim their is no such danger. you, ricky,
dropped your claim to be an ag pilot when you dumbly denied the downwind

turn
danger, which absolutely made hash of your prior crop dusting experience.

ricky, also claimed to have risen high enough in construction management

to be
able o steal plywood from a worksite to make a dinghy. you also claimed to
have liveaboards for years in Mexico as an adult. I also claimed to a high
ranking Merchant Marine.

All before you turned 35 years old.

You seem to be mixing your delusions, Jax. It's time you had your meds
adjusted again. Or maybe your Speedos are a bit too tight ...

Care to share the posts where you imagine you read those "claims" or are
you just going to show the readers one more time what a mess your poor
muddled brain has become? Show us the posts, Jax. For once in your
pathetic existence, back up one of your claims.

I for one will not hold my breath waiting. You haven't backed up a
single one of your claims since you fouled usenet with your presence.

Poor Jax, are you really so lost or just insanely jealous of those who
do what you can only read about or pretend to be? Silly little poseur,
Jax. Take your meds and get some rest, maybe you can do better tomorrow.

Rick

Rick

One more time just for grins, Jax.

--------------------

Care to share the posts where you imagine you read those "claims" or are
you just going to show the readers one more time what a mess your poor
muddled brain has become? Show us the posts, Jax. For once in your
pathetic existence, back up one of your claims.

---------------------

Your self generated "choices" aside from those of ATP and the Merchant
Marine officer (which are well known to regular readers) are no more
than your own fantasies given momentary existence online.

You are running true to form and ignoring the simple challenge to post
the "claims" you attribute to me. Put up or shut up Jax. A loser like
you will have to work a lot harder than your posts indicate you are capable.

Goodnight, Jax.

Rick

JAXAshby

so, ricky, you don't have a clew what a downwind turn is and once you check it
out you have no clew why it is dangerous as all ag pilots know? And now you
don't recall just why you once said you were an AG pilot NOT a cropduster?

ricky, you have more stories/more excuses than a con man just out of jail.

Care to share the posts where you imagine you read those "claims" or are
you just going to show the readers one more time what a mess your poor
muddled brain has become? Show us the posts, Jax. For once in your
pathetic existence, back up one of your claims.

---------------------

Your self generated "choices" aside from those of ATP and the Merchant
Marine officer (which are well known to regular readers) are no more
than your own fantasies given momentary existence online.

You are running true to form and ignoring the simple challenge to post
the "claims" you attribute to me. Put up or shut up Jax. A loser like
you will have to work a lot harder than your posts indicate you are capable.

Goodnight, Jax.

Rick

Rod McInnis

"Matt/Meribeth Pedersen" wrote in message
ink.net...

Especially if a wooden boat is overprotected, the more noble
fitting creates sodium hydroxide, which eats away the lignin in
the wood.

I don't understand what you mean by "overprotected".

I think I know what you are saying about the more noble fittings, which
would be the various through hull fittings.I have seen the wood surrounding
the fittings become deteriorated and spongy to the extent that the plank had
to be replaced.

Lots of woodenboat owners don't bond their through hulls together
and certainly don't put a lot of zincs on the boat.

Are you saying that they don't, but should? Or that they don't to avoid the
effects you are talking about?

Ten to 18 years ago I owned a 1956 Stephens, a wooden hull boat. The boat
was in poor condition when I got it and I spent a lot of time in the boat
yard over the 8 years that I owned it. I talked with lots of other wood
boat owners and did a fair amount of research. The general wisdom was that
you DID need to have a zinc anode and all the through hulls bonded to the
boat's electrical system.

If the through hull fitting was completely isolated electrically (such as a
seacock that was only connected via a rubber hose) then there would be no
current flow through it, assuming that the interior wood was dry so that
bilge water couldn't complete a circuit. In this case, that fitting would
be okay. But there are always fittings that you can't isolate, such as the
shaft log, rudder post and strut. These will create a current path,
especially when you connect up to shore power.

If you didn't have a zinc to provide an alternate path, then the current
flowing through the through hull fittings would create an "electrolysis
burn" on the wood. And NO, I am not saying the wood undergoes electrolysis,
I am saying that the effects of adjacent electrolysis damages the wood. Go
to a boatyard that has some wooden boats in it and look at the wood around
the fittings, it will be darker and in many cases severely deteriorated.

When the zincs are mounted you want to space the zinc away from the wood so
that you don't create an electrolysis burn around the zinc.

By the way, I understand that you can create the same situation when using a
Magnesium anode on an aluminum hull. I have heard stories of people who
directly bolted a magnesium anode to the transom of their aluminum boat,
then put the boat in salt water. The resulting "accelerated" galvanic
action with the anode "burned" the aluminum it was in contact with to the
point that an anode sized hole opened up in the transom and the boat sank.
Consider this "hear-say" as I can't confirm it, but I can believe it. It is
best to put bolts through the transom with nuts and washer on the outside,
then mount the anodes on the excess thread length spaced a 1/2" or so from
the hull.

Rod McInnis

Matt/Meribeth Pedersen

"Rod McInnis" wrote in message

"Matt/Meribeth Pedersen" wrote in message
ink.net...

Especially if a wooden boat is overprotected, the more noble
fitting creates sodium hydroxide, which eats away the lignin in
the wood.

I don't understand what you mean by "overprotected".

Overprotected means having too much zinc in comparison to the more
noble metal, i.e. having five zincs on your prop shaft when only
one will do the trick. When it comes to protection, the "some is
good, more is better" theory doesn't work.

ABYC recommends, for wooden boats, a potential of -550 to
-600 mV, in reference to a silver/silver chloride cell.

I think I know what you are saying about the more noble fittings, which
would be the various through hull fittings.I have seen the wood

surrounding
the fittings become deteriorated and spongy to the extent that the plank

had
to be replaced.

Lots of woodenboat owners don't bond their through hulls together
and certainly don't put a lot of zincs on the boat.

Are you saying that they don't, but should? Or that they don't to avoid

the
effects you are talking about?

They don't to avoid the effects.

LaBomba182

Subject: Protecting against sal****er
From: (Puerto Mio)

I sometimes see people spraying their boats
down with something coming out of a weed-sprayer type contraption.
Any idea what that might be?

My guess is they are spraying on something like Salt Away or Salt-X.

http://www.salt-x.com/

Also, is regular Turtle Wax fine to use on the boat?

Try Zaino (zainostore.com) way better that wax

Capt. Bill