Matt/Meribeth Pedersen

Default Protecting against sal****er

Not really a battery per se, but the wood does get eroded.

Especially if a wooden boat is overprotected, the more noble
fitting creates sodium hydroxide, which eats away the lignin in
the wood. This chemical process leaves only the spongy
cellulose fiber behind. You'll often see a white powdery substance
around the wood. Don't eat it or snort it

Lots of woodenboat owners don't bond their through hulls together
and certainly don't put a lot of zincs on the boat.

Matt

"JAXAshby" wrote in message
zincs will help protect submerged wood on a boat. It is
subject to some galvanic corrosion also.

really? wood becomes the anode or the cathode? I guess I have never seen

battery with wooden plates before.

JAXAshby

tom, my irritation is with those who ignorantly or often time very deliberately
give out false information as fact. If you wish to believe that mounting zincs
on a wooden boat will inhibit corrosion, well go beleive it. BUT don't pass it
off as fact because you seem to recall maybe reading it once somewhere in a
magazine written by tradesmen.

Do chunks of trees floating down rivers suffer "galvanic" action once they
happen on brackish water?

zincs will help protect submerged wood on a boat. It is
subject to some galvanic corrosion also.

really? wood becomes the anode or the cathode? I guess I have never seen

battery with wooden plates before.

My understanding is this: Wood is neither the anoode or cathode -- or
rather it is both.

To diverge, brass is a combination of two metals (copper and zinc,
perhaps.) The two metals will corrode each other in salt water. Little
pockets of zinc corrode with little pockets of copper. It
self-destructs. It is not just cannabalistic, but self-dissolving.

Wood has various components as well. It is possible that these
components will self-destruct. The amount would vary with the type of
wood, age, finish, and many other things that I don't understand. If
this explanation is not correct, then the suggestion that wood undergoes
electro-chemical degredation with near-by fittings, fasteners, and
such-like is certainly a possibility. If this were true, it would
certainly

I seem to recall reading this in a sailing magazine in an article about
galvanic corrosion. I may be in error. This discussion is not one that
is important enough to me to research. Do you know of any authoritative
sources that you can reference? I have about 3 feet of old Wooden Boat
magazines that you can have for free (you pay shipping) if you want to
look through them. I am sure that it would be covered there.

Some people seem to consider some of your comments, such as "I have
never seen a battery with wooden plates before." to be unhelpful to the
discussion. It does convey, if nothing else, a certain impatience. For
your own benefit you may choose to change your tone slightly. Even
throwing in a few smilies :-) would change some people's reaction.

Fair winds,

Tom
of the Swee****er Sea

Rick

JAXAshby wrote:
ah, someone who knows. Thanks Matt/Meribeth.

Everyone who knows anything about wooden boats knows, Jax. You continue
to show that your boating knowledge is pathetic, your knowledge of
wooden boats is nonexistent and your attempts to trash the OP based on
your own ignorance clearly shows your only role here is that of a troll.

Rick

JAXAshby

so, rick, *you* -- with your immence knowledge gleaned from reading magazines
while bathtub sailing -- KNOW that zincs on a wooden boat protect it from
"galvanic action"??

maybe you might want to find out what the word "galvanic" means.

btw, yo-yo, you missed the part where zincs actually cause deterioration of
wooden boats. How did that happen, ricky, with all that knowledge you have?
Same way you couldn't tell the difference between an ag pilot and an ATP, each
of which you have claimed to be?

ah, someone who knows. Thanks Matt/Meribeth.

Everyone who knows anything about wooden boats knows, Jax. You continue
to show that your boating knowledge is pathetic, your knowledge of
wooden boats is nonexistent and your attempts to trash the OP based on
your own ignorance clearly shows your only role here is that of a troll.

Rick

Rick

JAXAshby wrote:

Same way you couldn't tell the difference between an ag pilot and an ATP, each
of which you have claimed to be?

So Jax begins another spin down the spiral of his dementia.

Show the post where I claimed to be an ag pilot, Jax. Your fantasy life
is spilling over to your online delirium. I do have an ATP certificate.
There are quite a few ag pilots who also hold an ATP, and a few airline
pilots who do some ag flying. So if there is somehow a "difference" I
guess you will have to explain it to us.

Once again you show yourself to be no more than an ignorant poseur,
desperately struggling for attention.

Rick

Keith

....or you can do like I did a long time ago... just block his posts and
you'll never know he's here, unless somebody else replies.

--

Keith
__
"Rick" wrote in message
.net...
JAXAshby wrote:

a bunch of crap as usual.

So Jax begins another spin down the spiral of his dementia.

Show the post where I claimed to be an ag pilot, Jax. Your fantasy life
is spilling over to your online delirium. I do have an ATP certificate.
There are quite a few ag pilots who also hold an ATP, and a few airline
pilots who do some ag flying. So if there is somehow a "difference" I
guess you will have to explain it to us.

Once again you show yourself to be no more than an ignorant poseur,
desperately struggling for attention.

Rick

JAXAshby

There are quite a few ag pilots who also hold an ATP, and a few airline
pilots who do some ag flying. So if there is somehow a "difference" I
guess you will have to explain it to us.

ricky, ag pilots know the danger of a downwind turn, ATPs (stupidly and in the
face of the laws of physics) claim their is no such danger. you, ricky,
dropped your claim to be an ag pilot when you dumbly denied the downwind turn
danger, which absolutely made hash of your prior crop dusting experience.

ricky, also claimed to have risen high enough in construction management to be
able o steal plywood from a worksite to make a dinghy. you also claimed to
have liveaboards for years in Mexico as an adult. I also claimed to a high
ranking Merchant Marine.

All before you turned 35 years old.

JAXAshby

...or you can do like I did a long time ago... just block his posts and
you'll never know he's here, unless somebody else replies.

keith won't see this, but he just proven conclusively that he is too stupid to
learn, for you already knows everything there is to know.

sad.

Rick

JAXAshby wrote:

ricky, ag pilots know the danger of a downwind turn, ATPs (stupidly and in the
face of the laws of physics) claim their is no such danger. you, ricky,
dropped your claim to be an ag pilot when you dumbly denied the downwind turn
danger, which absolutely made hash of your prior crop dusting experience.

ricky, also claimed to have risen high enough in construction management to be
able o steal plywood from a worksite to make a dinghy. you also claimed to
have liveaboards for years in Mexico as an adult. I also claimed to a high
ranking Merchant Marine.

All before you turned 35 years old.

You seem to be mixing your delusions, Jax. It's time you had your meds
adjusted again. Or maybe your Speedos are a bit too tight ...

Care to share the posts where you imagine you read those "claims" or are
you just going to show the readers one more time what a mess your poor
muddled brain has become? Show us the posts, Jax. For once in your
pathetic existence, back up one of your claims.

I for one will not hold my breath waiting. You haven't backed up a
single one of your claims since you fouled usenet with your presence.

Poor Jax, are you really so lost or just insanely jealous of those who
do what you can only read about or pretend to be? Silly little poseur,
Jax. Take your meds and get some rest, maybe you can do better tomorrow.

Rick