Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next

Default Pigs Flying

On Nov 19, 10:55 am, "Wilbur Hubbard"
wrote:
Check out the Skippy's SPOT and zoom way in on his anchored location. You
will see that Flying Pig flew right over the causeway and Watson Island
itself. Amazing but true! That Skippy. What a guy!

Wilbur Hubbard

:{))

I'm touched by your concern for our safety, and chuffed that you
follow us so closely. I read your last while we were off Ft.
Lauderdale or thereabouts (I've had usable connections under sail as
far out as 12 miles, and quite reliably from 3-6 miles), and chuckled
about our "sinking" - but Roger was right about the SPOT and this
part, too. I slowed the boat and dropped the main before going under
the bridge, started the engine and headed to the anchorage. The
slightly faster speed under motor, combined with the 20-minute
postings of spot made it appear we had real wings :{))

It was a great trip - I've not calculated the mileage total yet, but
we averaged very close to 6 knots including a long period of doldrums
- from the dock up the Frederica River in SSI where we helped our
traveling companions get fixed up, to anchor down in the basin,
between Miami and Miami Beach, was 63 hours exactly, including channel
transits.

You'll see about it in the next log, assuming I don't let showering
and other delights get in the way of composition, but the little jog
to the east off Lauderdale was to clear a mainsail foul which happened
when we rolled, got backwinded, and rolled back again, explosively
putting the prevented main under the shrouds, held by the battens. As
I was sleeping at the time, I didn't find out about it until I was
awakened, and just dealt with it. As you'll see from the track, it
was only a momentary slowdown, and in fact, I'd worried about finding
myself in the ship channel with it unresolved, it being full dark when
I arrived, so I intentionally slowed the boat while I figured out how
to clear it without damage to the sail. However, not so for the dark
concerns, we just sailed on :{))

Sorry I can't keep up with your speedster, but I guarantee ours is
more comfortable. We'll have the last of the ice cream I brought
aboard for Lydia's birthday a few days ago, and then set the freezer
back up to 8* - and tonight, we'll host the other three from the
other boat, who are cold and wet from their bashing along with
everything inside and out getting wet. We have plenty of space and
plenty of hot water, in case the club's showers are closed by the time
they arrive, nearly 12 hours after this slowpoke, if they're lucky, or
more, if not - and they left an hour before we did, taunting us as
they turned the corner at the buoy before us with "the race is on!" :
{)) Here's their track: http://share.findmespot.com/shared/g...vFmEcNAJhiEqaU

L8R

Skip and Lydia, off to the showers, and Portia, playing in the flaked
main in the lazyjacks

When Pigs Fly [email protected] Cruising 11 May 14th 08 03:31 AM
When Pigs Fly Joe ASA 7 February 15th 07 07:54 PM
When Pigs Fly Joe ASA 0 February 15th 07 03:07 AM
OT Conservative pigs! What do you think NOW? basskisser General 0 May 20th 04 05:27 PM