ken jones

Default Website

I'm developing a website pitched at the sailing/boating community

I'd like two things if anybody would care to have a look at it -
http://www.sail-the-net.com

1) General feedback on the site and anything you think that might improve it

2) I'm very keen to swap links with other related sites, I have a links area
and anybody interested can email me from there

Two final things I'm going to post this message on several newsgroups so my
apologies if you're reading this as a crosspost. And lastly if you consider
this spam then let me again apologise. There I've said it - no need for
anybody to get nasty now is there :-)

Regards

Ken

Phil

On Mon, 2 Feb 2004 15:33:06 -0400, "ken jones"
wrote:

I'm developing a website pitched at the sailing/boating community

I'd like two things if anybody would care to have a look at it -
http://www.sail-the-net.com

1) General feedback on the site and anything you think that might improve it

1. Employ a professional web site design company. Your site looks
amatuerish and that doesn't engender confidence in your visitors.
There's no reason why your front page has to scroll like it does - you
could easily fit that content onto a 800 x 600 resolution screen and
make it more visually interesting at the same time.

2. Spell check it before you publish. Your 'glag' to get our
feedback?! Really - this is pretty basic stuff!

3. Have a clear vision of what you are trying to achieve with this web
site and the steps and resources required to get there. It's not
enough to have an idea - you need to follow it through.

4. Don't publish the site until its got some usable content! There's
little of interest there at the moment so you have to provide the
content yourself - a big job - or give people a reason to send you
content. If you don't source the content first the site will fail.

5. What are your USP's? (Unique Selling Points) Why should I visit
your site as opposed to any of the other dozens of sailing web sites
out there?

Don't be too discouraged by the above comments - we all started
exactly where you are now....

Cheers

Mike

The Language Lab

My idea is that contents are the key point of success. If one uses good old
html, he can do all the work by himself. And when the site begin to be
rentable, by some small ads for example, then one can consider using a
professional.

A idea for content. A directory of marine bookshops. A place to look at when
you are in the middle of nowhere and needs some marine printed stuff, you
know, charts, these books about harbours (portolano in Italian), etc, also
programs. Seems it not exists. The only thing I've found is a directory of
resellers of Admiralty charts. Unfortunately they are not shops.

My half penny.

Fran

wrote:

[...]

The Language Lab

My idea is that contents are the key point of success. If you are the only
place when one can find some special information, people will sniff it. To
compete with general directories is an waste of time.