posted to rec.boats.building

Default SeaRay 170 Starter

I need to change the starter on my SeaRay. Is it hard to slide the new
starter into place ? Does it require shims ? Can the starter be re
built at an automotive shop or is it sealed and must be bought new ?
If so who is cheap online ? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

On Oct 11, 7:10*am, wrote:
I need to change the starter on my SeaRay. Is it hard to slide the new
starter into place ? Does it require shims ? Can the starter be re
built at an automotive shop or is it sealed and must be bought new ?
If so who *is cheap online ? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

John

Assuming you can get at your starter, it shouldn't be that difficult
to change. Make sure you disconnect power to the starter first,
disconnecting the battery is probably your best bet. Then remove the
wires from the starter, you should mark the wires, so you know where
they all go when you reinstall the starter. On the wires that all go
to the same point, you can tape them together. If your not sure, would
make a quick drawing for referance, and mark the wires with differant
color tape is a simple way to identify them. Marine starters can be
rebuilt, they are not throw away units. Most rebuild shops can handle
the job. I would suggect you bring the starter to a rebuild shop that
handles marine starters and let them know it's a marine unit, the
differance in repair cost shouldn't be that much over an automotive
unit. I would also reccomend against an automotive unit, for safety
reasons, and liability reasons. The starter's on boats typically do
not require shims, I've never seen one that needed one. This has to do
with how their mounted, through the bell housing, which does not
require shimming, rather than from underneath, against an engine
surface that would require shimming.

It's an easier job than you think, the hard part is usually getting at
the starter. If you can get to it, you shouldn't have a problem.

Good Luck

SeaRay Eisboch General 17 October 5th 07 06:03 PM
'87 Searay Slipping Don Dando Boat Building 7 July 15th 06 01:36 PM
Searay ??? Bob La Londe Cruising 1 June 27th 05 03:06 AM
WTB: Searay dashplates BOhlemache Cruising 0 January 28th 05 04:59 AM
Searay 300 Sundancer Kekine General 0 April 6th 04 01:50 AM