posted to rec.boats.building

Default '87 Searay Slipping

There are two possibilities that come to mind. The prop has a neropreme
insert between the splined coupling and the propeller to absorb shock. They
sometimes wear out and cause slippage as you mention. In which case a prop
shop can install a replacement insert. The other and less likely is the
splined coupling on the crankshaft of the engine. The drive shaft to the
lower unit mates with this coupler. It is a neropreme filled cup that also
absorbs shock. This requires pulling the engine to replace the hub and
require a hoist to lift the engine. Hope this helps.

Don Dando

Don Dando wrote:
There are two possibilities that come to mind. The prop has a neropreme
insert between the splined coupling and the propeller to absorb shock. They
sometimes wear out and cause slippage as you mention. In which case a prop
shop can install a replacement insert. The other and less likely is the
splined coupling on the crankshaft of the engine. The drive shaft to the
lower unit mates with this coupler. It is a neropreme filled cup that also
absorbs shock. This requires pulling the engine to replace the hub and
require a hoist to lift the engine. Hope this helps.

Don Dando

Don,
It appears that my prop is missing what I would call an expansion ring
on the back hub of the prop where the exhaust comes out. Could that be
a problem?
Blackie

posted to rec.boats.building

"Blackie" wrote in message
oups.com...

Don Dando wrote:
[...]

Likely not related. Put your spare prop on, go for a boatride and see if the
problem persists. It's likely a worn hub and any (decent) prop shop can fix
it.

posted to rec.boats.building

airborne wrote:
"Blackie" wrote in message
oups.com...

Don Dando wrote:
[...]

Any idea about the size of the nut that holds the prop on? I don't
think I have a socket to fit it.

posted to rec.boats.building

"Blackie" wrote in message
ps.com...

airborne wrote:
"Blackie" wrote in message
oups.com...

Don Dando wrote:
[...]

Whenever you go boating (besides wearing PFDs), you should be carrying a
toolbox (so you can at least perform emergency repairs) and the tools to
install your spare prop (you know- that other prop you always carry with
you). If you're not already doing this, make sure you do the next time you
go out boating (to safeguard the trust your passengers place in you).

Pull up to an auto parts store and they'll be able to select the correct
size for you.

posted to rec.boats.building

airborne wrote:
"Blackie" wrote in message
ps.com...

airborne wrote:
"Blackie" wrote in message
oups.com...

Don Dando wrote:
[...]

The nut turned out to be 1 1/6", but It's so tight I will need and impact gun to get it off.

I'll get my spare prop on this weekend to see if it corrects my
problem.

posted to rec.boats.building

I wouldn't stand in the way of anyone who wanted to buy another tool, BUT
the impact gun I was given as a present was feeble compared to the monsters
used at the tire stores. When my tractor wheels needed to be removed, I
found that the classic X-shaped lug wrench, abetted by a ten foot length of
tubing (ID big enough to go over the lug wrench sockets) removed most of
them and twisted off the two that were solid blobs of rust. Arrange things
so that you are lifting up on the length of tubing. It might help to have
someone else steady the wrench until the torque is applied but a cardboard
box will work too.

Roger

http://home.insightbb.com/~derbyrm

"Blackie" wrote in message
oups.com...

airborne wrote:
"Blackie" wrote in message
ps.com...

airborne wrote:
"Blackie" wrote in message
oups.com...

Don Dando wrote:
[...]

I needed the impact gun for the nut because I couldn't hold the prop to
keep it from turning. It worked fine and my spare prop also woeks fine
- so it must have been the rubber hub inside the other prop slipping.
I'll get it repaired. Thanks everyone for your help!!!!

derbyrm wrote:
I wouldn't stand in the way of anyone who wanted to buy another tool, BUT
the impact gun I was given as a present was feeble compared to the monsters
used at the tire stores. When my tractor wheels needed to be removed, I
found that the classic X-shaped lug wrench, abetted by a ten foot length of
tubing (ID big enough to go over the lug wrench sockets) removed most of
them and twisted off the two that were solid blobs of rust. Arrange things
so that you are lifting up on the length of tubing. It might help to have
someone else steady the wrench until the torque is applied but a cardboard
box will work too.

Roger

http://home.insightbb.com/~derbyrm

"Blackie" wrote in message