posted to rec.boats.building
Blackie Blackie is offline

Default '87 Searay Slipping

airborne wrote:
"Blackie" wrote in message
oups.com...

Don Dando wrote:
There are two possibilities that come to mind. The prop has a neropreme
insert between the splined coupling and the propeller to absorb shock.

They
sometimes wear out and cause slippage as you mention. In which case a

prop
shop can install a replacement insert. The other and less likely is

the
splined coupling on the crankshaft of the engine. The drive shaft to

the
lower unit mates with this coupler. It is a neropreme filled cup that

also
absorbs shock. This requires pulling the engine to replace the hub and
require a hoist to lift the engine. Hope this helps.

Don Dando

Don,
It appears that my prop is missing what I would call an expansion ring
on the back hub of the prop where the exhaust comes out. Could that be
a problem?

Likely not related. Put your spare prop on, go for a boatride and see if the
problem persists. It's likely a worn hub and any (decent) prop shop can fix
it.

Any idea about the size of the nut that holds the prop on? I don't
think I have a socket to fit it.