posted to rec.boats.building

Default RM@30 from RM@1

On Sat, 09 Aug 2008 23:09:15 +0200, Heikki wrote:

But even today, synthetic seems to be an option to consider! Does anyone
here have a good reason why not?

Sunlight. Ultraviolet.

Casady
posted to rec.boats.building

On Sat, 9 Aug 2008 19:03:21 -0400, "Glenn Ashmore"
wrote:

My problem with the synthetic fiber shrouds is that I'm still afraid of
long term UV damage. I've had two spectra halyards fail.

////
Another good point is you can easily stow a length of line and make up a new
stay in a couple of hours.

For me, any cruise would demand a length of shroud material that could
be remade within reasonable time: galvanized, stainless, presumably
synthetic? But steel with patent terminals, or swaged ferrule hard
eye ends have their appeal to simplicity.

Brian W
posted to rec.boats.building

Glenn Ashmore wrote:

Until recently I was of the same mind but the more I study these synthetics
the more I like them. From what I see rod and wire are designed with a
safety factor of about 4:1. The Dynex Dux has to be higher than 5:1 to
minimize creep. Also with steel you can't see what is going on down in that
terminal socket. At least you can see all the rope and keep an eye on UV
and abrasion. The one place I am worried is at the spreaders where it is
hard to check.

Another good point is you can easily stow a length of line and make up a new
stay in a couple of hours.

Glenn,

All of your points are well based.

Carrying spares is always a good plan and you would definitely have a
better chance at doing that in fiber. Or, if you are hold up somewhere,
it will be easier to get a piece if fiber shipped in and you might even
get it through Chilean customs without a 100% tarrif if it gets labeled
just right.

It Dynex Dux a hollow braid? If it is, slide one or two layers of it
over the primary to be the bearing point at the spreaders. That will
solve the abrasion issue and provide UV cover there, as well. If it
isn't, get something that will serve. I friend has done this with
several layers of heat shrink tubing. He used different colors so he
could tell if he wore through a layer.

One of the few things that 1*19 will do for you is start shedding wires
at the swage as a warning. That is more warning than rod will give you.

More than a few people I have know have carried a "stay kit" on long
cruises. The swageless end fitting aren't too tough, but storing a
three foot steel hula hoop is always an issue.

Fair Wind and Smooth Sea
Matt Colie