posted to rec.boats,rec.boats.building,rec.boats.cruising

Default Top heavy?

I've got an old boat very much like this one:

http://www.warnersdock.com/images/Fr...fores15yel.JPG

that I'm trying to make into a mini-houseboat,
sort of like a camper. I only expect to have
about 200-300 pounds in the roof and walls,
and the roof will only be about 48" above
the gunwale. The hull will weigh a *lot* more
than what is added, so shouldn't that alone
be enough to keep it from being top heavy
and flipping over? If I add weight, like a
couple hundred pound bags of sand down
in the hull to counterballance, shouldn't
that take care of it? If so, should they
be placed on the sides, or in the center?
posted to rec.boats,rec.boats.building,rec.boats.cruising
Senior Member

On Jul 3, 11:34*am, David dh@. wrote:
I've got an old boat very much like this one:

http://www.warnersdock.com/images/Fr...fores15yel.JPG

that I'm trying to make into a mini-houseboat,
sort of like a camper. I only expect to have
about 200-300 pounds in the roof and walls,
and the roof will only be about 48" above
the gunwale. The hull will weigh a *lot* more
than what is added, so shouldn't that alone
be enough to keep it from being top heavy
and flipping over? If I add weight, like a
couple hundred pound bags of sand down
in the hull to counterballance, shouldn't
that take care of it? If so, should they
be placed on the sides, or in the center?

This is a bad idea on several levels. Even if you can make the math
seem to work, the hull is designed to sit at a certain level in the
water so as to be safe during all aspects of operation while cruising
or in emergency conditions. Pitch a tent up there, or get a different
boat. It's like pulling a trailer that is too heavy for the vehicle.
The vehicle might get it rolling, but in an emergency can't react the
way you want it to, or the way it was designed.. You might get away
with it for years, but it could also get you killed in seconds. In a
nutshell, you have the wrong tool for the job. Change your plan, or
get a different boat... Just my opinion, but I am always against
modifying a tried and tested design..

Scotty
SmallBoats.com
posted to rec.boats,rec.boats.building,rec.boats.cruising

"Gogarty" wrote in message
In article
,
says...

[...]

It's not the weight. It's the moment.

I think it all depends on how the OP intends to use his "houseboat".
3-4 footers in the ocean? No way.
A lazy, small lake somewhere? Go for it.

Eisboch

posted to rec.boats,rec.boats.building,rec.boats.cruising
Senior Member

On Jul 3, 4:23*pm, Gogarty wrote:
In article
,
says...

[...]

It's not the weight. It's the moment.- Hide quoted text -

I have programs here that will calculate any of it, but I was trying
to keep it simple for a layman.. At the same time, a note to the
OP... I defer to Eisboch in this case. He has much more experience
than I in this area... I have booklearnin' he has boats
posted to rec.boats,rec.boats.building,rec.boats.cruising

On Thu, 3 Jul 2008 16:30:25 -0400, "Eisboch" wrote:

"Gogarty" wrote in message
In article
,
says...

[...]

It is on a lake. I wouldn't try it in the ocean. It's not as wide as the
houseboats around here, but it's not as tall either so I'm hoping it
will sort of balance out and be about the same thing. And when I
think about the cruisers in the ocean, with a flybridge, and then
a flybridge on top of the flybridge, and sometimes a flybridge on
top of the flybridge on top of the flybridge...how does all that work?

wrote in message

I have programs here that will calculate any of it, but I was trying
to keep it simple for a layman.. At the same time, a note to the
OP... I defer to Eisboch in this case. He has much more experience
than I in this area... I have booklearnin' he has boats

--------------------------------

I have absolutely *no* experience in converting a small lake boat into a
houseboat.

Eisboch

On Jul 3, 5:01*pm, "Eisboch" wrote:
wrote in message

I have programs here that will calculate any of it, but I was trying
to keep it simple for a layman.. *At the same time, a note to the
OP... I defer to Eisboch in this case. He has much more experience
than I in this area... I have booklearnin' he has boats

--------------------------------

I have absolutely *no* experience in converting a small lake boat into a
houseboat.

Eisboch

Yes, but you have probably been in boats that size, or similar
configuration.... I have not..
posted to rec.boats,rec.boats.building,rec.boats.cruising
Senior Member

David wrote:
I've got an old boat very much like this one:

http://www.warnersdock.com/images/Fr...fores15yel.JPG

that I'm trying to make into a mini-houseboat,
sort of like a camper. I only expect to have
about 200-300 pounds in the roof and walls,
and the roof will only be about 48" above
the gunwale. The hull will weigh a *lot* more
than what is added, so shouldn't that alone
be enough to keep it from being top heavy
and flipping over? If I add weight, like a
couple hundred pound bags of sand down
in the hull to counterballance, shouldn't
that take care of it? If so, should they
be placed on the sides, or in the center?- Hide quoted text -

Yes, you missed the first line which suggests that this is not his
boat, but one with a similar hull configuration..His boat could be
spotless for all we know...

"David" dh@. wrote in message
I've got an old boat very much like this one:

http://www.warnersdock.com/images/Fr...fores15yel.JPG

snip

THIS is top-heavy:
http://images.thebiggestbreasts.com/...fake_boobs.jpg

Caution: nudity. Adults only please.

--
Gregory Hall

Top heavy? David[_3_] General 26 July 12th 08 01:28 AM
Standby for heavy rolls RCE General 25 May 11th 06 08:37 PM
we kill the heavy cobbler Guido ASA 0 April 22nd 05 10:15 AM
Silverton 322 - Top heavy? LJ General 3 July 16th 04 05:00 AM
Heavy Air Bobsprit ASA 132 September 25th 03 01:10 AM