LJ

Default Silverton 322 - Top heavy?

I'm shopping for a late model Aft Cabin Motor Yacht around the 32 - 36 foot
range.
I was really intertested in the Silverton 322, which was made
from 1998 - 2001.
A Silverton dealer told me that particular model was really bad in beam
seas, (very prone to rocking badly), most
probably due to all the extra weight at top. He even mentioned a lawsuit in
which a child
fell from the top area of the boat.
The boat is just about 20,000 lbs. dry.
Has anyone had any experience with this model?
My wife and kids get a little nervous when on a boat, so I'm being extra
cautious
with my research.
In addition, I'm also looking at the late model Carver 326 Aft Cabin, the
Mariner, and
the Santego.
I know the Express Cruisers would be alot more stable, however I like the
extra room and
openess of the Aft Cabins, and the sedan type boats.
I'd appreciate any thoughts on this.
Thanks.
Lou on LI.

Gould 0738

That boat carries 12' 4" beam which is fairly decent for a 32-footer. However,
it looks like it needs every inch of it.

You've got a 32' vessel that weighs 19790 pounds, but draws 35 inches. It also
looks like the beam is measured at the sheer line, which appears to be
substantially wider than the waterline. With the high aft deck and the FRP
hardtop (s?) you might well have a higher than optimal COG.

The more weight you get well above the waterline, the more severe the rolling
moment will be.

You'd need a sea trial to know for sure, but I wouldn't be shocked to discover
the salesperson might have a point.
Don't be too impressed with the lawsuit story, every boat builder has been sued
a zillion times over one thing or another.

Depending how the boat handles during a sea trial, there's nothing in the
photos and specs of the boats that would cause me, personally, to conclude the
boat was patently unsafe. But tippy? That's a disctinct possiblity.

Solution might be to navigate, as much as possible, so that you're not exposed
a nonstop series of beam seas. Quartering into the waves will often bring a
rock 'n roller back under the whip.

Or, look at some of the other boats you're considering and compare.

One possible red flag: If your salesperson seems way too eager to stuff you
into an express cruiser, (probably the one with this week's bonus on it), it
may be safe to discount any bad-mouthing he or she may offer about flybridge
models generally being too "top heavy".

LJ

Thanks for the info.
I have switched my attention to the Silverton Sportbridge 330, and the
Carver 350 Mariner (1998+).
Hopefully, I will get to check out these 2 models soon.
Lou

"Gould 0738" wrote in message
[...]

JAXAshby

of course it is. put the boat on jack stands on the parking lot and compare
how much of the boat has bottom paint and how much doesn't.

50% bottom paint makes for a seaworthy boat. 30% bottom paint makes for a
tippy mutha. 10% bottom paint makes for a dock dweller.