posted to can.rec.boating,rec.boats,rec.boats.building

Default Bayliner 2655

On Jun 12, 9:20*am, "Reginald P. Smithers III" "Reggie is Here
wrote:
JimH wrote:
On Jun 12, 7:59 am, "Reginald P. Smithers III" "Reggie is Here
wrote:
jamesgangnc wrote:
"Wade Carl Henley" wrote in message
I am looking to purchase the above mentioned boat, was wondering if anyone
out there have had any experience with this boat, good,bad or ugly. *All
opinions welcome.
Topics of interest for me is over all rating that you guys put to this
boat,
any problems...good points, bad points that sort of thing.
Thanks
Glenn
It has compromises to be a cruiser at that size but if your use is mainly
fair weather boating they are not a big issue.
One of the main things to watch for on just about all the boats is being
under powered. *A lot of manufacturers, in order to keep the entry price
low, will sell boats with the smallest engine they can get away with. *I
think this one can be had with a 5.0 (305) small block. *Once you load it up
with a 5.0 it probably takes forever to get on plane and has to be run
"floored" to get any speed. *If you test drive a boat bring a pile of your
friends to act as "load". *A 5.7 *(350) would be the bare minimum for me on
that boat and a big block would be ideal. *Don't let anyone tell you a
smaller engine gets better milage. *The difference is not that significant
and the lack of performance will be quite noticeable.
I think the 5.7 is the largest available engine for a boat this size. *I
have seen them add the DuolProp or Alpha 3 to improve the ability to get
on plane, but a 7.4 liter engine would take up too much space and
encroach into the space they use for the mid berth.

Wrong. *The 7.4L was available.

Nah, I can't be wrong, because I really did think it was the largest
engine available.

A number of years ago, I owned a similar sized boat built from a
different mfg'er, it had a 5.7 and that was the largest engine available
at that time. *It really was more than enough power for 5 adults. *More
than 5 adults and the boat was too crowded, even for a day cruise.

I just checked Bayliner's web page, and the 5.7 is the only size
available today

I did not say it was NOT available, I just thought it was the largest
available. *

So, now that i know the 7.4 was available at one time, I would be wrong
if I said I think it was the largest available engine.

When was the 7.4 available on the 2655 and when did they discontinue
offering it as an option?- Hide quoted text -

Reggie, don't fuel the stooges, please!

On Jun 12, 7:46 pm, JR North wrote:
My anchor snagged on one, but it was no trouble to pull it free.
JR

Another rec.boats regular looking to improve the quality and tone of
this group.
posted to can.rec.boating,rec.boats,rec.boats.building

On Thu, 12 Jun 2008 08:56:07 -0400, "jamesgangnc"
wrote:

That's too bad. The size difference is not as much as people think. A few
more inches on the front, sides, and top. I think you mean a bravo 3.
Volvo has a dual prop drive as well. Those will help and in combination
with a 5.7 probably work well on this boat. I'm guessing that adds 6 to 8
grand to the base price though. A 5.0 with an alpha II would suck.

IMHO, the ideal engine would be the Mercruiser 6.2L MPI with a Bravo 3
duo-prop. We have that combo on our Searay 270, and at 320 hp it is a
strong little engine. I believe that it's based on a stroked small
block.

The Bayliner in question has got to be seriously under powered with a
single 5.0L, as demonstrated by the one reviewer who is cruising at
4500 RPM. That is a sure recipe for premature engine failure.
posted to can.rec.boating,rec.boats,rec.boats.building

Thanks for all the responses. The reason I mention this boat, is because I
am looking for a trailerable boat, one that can house two to four people,
stopping at various small villages along the way, max. time would be two
weeks long.

The idea is to cruise up and down the west coast British Columbia, seeing
all the small villages that are there.

Do you guys think this boat would do the trick?

Glenn
"JimH" wrote in message
On Jun 12, 7:46 pm, JR North wrote:
My anchor snagged on one, but it was no trouble to pull it free.
JR

Another rec.boats regular looking to improve the quality and tone of
this group.

posted to can.rec.boating,rec.boats,rec.boats.building

No sense of Yuma?
JR

On Thu, 12 Jun 2008 16:52:28 -0700 (PDT), JimH
wrote:

On Jun 12, 7:46 pm, JR North wrote:
My anchor snagged on one, but it was no trouble to pull it free.
JR

Another rec.boats regular looking to improve the quality and tone of
this group.

HOME PAGE:
http://www.seanet.com/~jasonrnorth

On Jun 12, 6:53�pm, "Wade Carl Henley" wrote:
Thanks for all the responses. �The reason I mention this boat, is because I
am looking for a trailerable boat, one that can house two to four people,
stopping at various small villages along the way, max. time would be two
weeks long.

The idea is to cruise up and down the west coast British Columbia, seeing
all the small villages that are there.

Do you guys think this boat would do the trick?

Yes. With a close eye on the weather, always erring on the side of
caution.Keep a flexible schedule and a willingness to "stay put" when
things are looking nasty, and stay out of the straits when conditions
aren't ideal. Pick up a copy of "Day by Day to Alaska" by Dale
Petersen. He has covered virtually all the coastal waters between
Seattle and Galcier Bay, Alaska in his trailerable C-Dory, ("Day by
Day"). The boat you are considering will be adequate for all but the
worst stretches on average or better days, but there are areas where
you will need to wait for much better than average conditions,
particularly in a boat of that displacement and design, to be
comfortable and safe in those waters.
posted to can.rec.boating,rec.boats,rec.boats.building
HK HK is offline

Chuck Gould wrote:
[...]

Two people who are really friendly might survive such a trip. Four?
:)

On Jun 13, 8:48Â*am, HK wrote:
Chuck Gould wrote:
[...]

Yes, it's the age-old misperception. "Sleeps Four" doesn't always mean
that 4 will be comfortable or have enough personal space when not
asleep. Has to be one of the major reasons people "trade up"- it
certainly isn't to enjoy the greater expense and fuel burn of a larger
boat.

On Jun 13, 11:48 am, HK wrote:
Chuck Gould wrote:
[...]

We once owned a 27 foot Searay Sundancer (with aft cabin) which we
spent a lot of time on, including weekends and week long trips on the
Lake. Our kids were fairly young when we owned the boat and things
became a bit tight even though the kids were small. After a few years
of owning it we up sized to a 32 footer. Even with that larger boat
we were glad to head back home after a week on it with the 4 of us.