BoatBanter.com

-   -   Bayliner 2655 (https://www.boatbanter.com/boat-building/95300-bayliner-2655-a.html)

Wade Carl Henley June 12th 08 06:50 AM

Bayliner 2655

I am looking to purchase the above mentioned boat, was wondering if anyone
out there have had any experience with this boat, good,bad or ugly. All
opinions welcome.

Topics of interest for me is over all rating that you guys put to this boat,
any problems...good points, bad points that sort of thing.

Thanks

Glenn

Short Wave Sportfishing[_2_] June 12th 08 11:03 AM

Bayliner 2655

On Wed, 11 Jun 2008 23:50:53 -0600, "Wade Carl Henley"
wrote:

I am looking to purchase the above mentioned boat, was wondering if anyone
out there have had any experience with this boat, good,bad or ugly. All
opinions welcome.

Topics of interest for me is over all rating that you guys put to this boat,
any problems...good points, bad points that sort of thing.

It's a bubble boat.

Here's some reviews.

http://www.epinions.com/reviews/Bayl...X_LX_Sunbridge

Reginald P. Smithers III[_9_] June 12th 08 12:36 PM

Bayliner 2655

wrote:

I am looking to purchase the above mentioned boat, was wondering if anyone
out there have had any experience with this boat, good,bad or ugly. All
opinions welcome.

Topics of interest for me is over all rating that you guys put to this boat,
any problems...good points, bad points that sort of thing.

It's a bubble boat.

Here's some reviews.

http://www.epinions.com/reviews/Bayl...X_LX_Sunbridge

Those were fairly honest reviews. Bayliner is a good boat for protected
waters. It is not a bluewater boat, nor does the mfg'er pretend it is a
bluewater boat. It is a Bayliner.

The boats built after the mid 90's are better quality than those built
in the 80's, which could be real lemons. If someone is looking for a
day boat or a weekender for a couple, to be used in protected waters, or
close to shore on fair weather days, it can be a great boat.

As SWS said, it is a bubble boat, some people like the look, others hate
the look. The advantages is you have more room down below. The
disadvantages is it can be difficult to use the foredeck, getting up and
down the step steps on the 2655 to retrieve the anchor or when docking
can be very ackward for many. As someone who owns a bubble boat, which
has easy access to the foredeck, it can still be very slick when washing
the boat. I have seen some people screw up and actually wax the
foredeck. It will be very painful and dangerous when you slip and land
on your ass when you are rushing to grab a dock line.

jamesgangnc June 12th 08 12:40 PM

Bayliner 2655

"Wade Carl Henley" wrote in message
I am looking to purchase the above mentioned boat, was wondering if anyone
out there have had any experience with this boat, good,bad or ugly. All
opinions welcome.

Topics of interest for me is over all rating that you guys put to this
boat,
any problems...good points, bad points that sort of thing.

Thanks

Glenn

It has compromises to be a cruiser at that size but if your use is mainly
fair weather boating they are not a big issue.

One of the main things to watch for on just about all the boats is being
under powered. A lot of manufacturers, in order to keep the entry price
low, will sell boats with the smallest engine they can get away with. I
think this one can be had with a 5.0 (305) small block. Once you load it up
with a 5.0 it probably takes forever to get on plane and has to be run
"floored" to get any speed. If you test drive a boat bring a pile of your
friends to act as "load". A 5.7 (350) would be the bare minimum for me on
that boat and a big block would be ideal. Don't let anyone tell you a
smaller engine gets better milage. The difference is not that significant
and the lack of performance will be quite noticeable.

Reginald P. Smithers III[_9_] June 12th 08 12:59 PM

Bayliner 2655

jamesgangnc wrote:
[...]

I think the 5.7 is the largest available engine for a boat this size. I
have seen them add the DuolProp or Alpha 3 to improve the ability to get
on plane, but a 7.4 liter engine would take up too much space and
encroach into the space they use for the mid berth.

jamesgangnc June 12th 08 01:56 PM

Bayliner 2655

"Reginald P. Smithers III" "Reggie is Here wrote in message
. ..
jamesgangnc wrote:
[...]

That's too bad. The size difference is not as much as people think. A few
more inches on the front, sides, and top. I think you mean a bravo 3.
Volvo has a dual prop drive as well. Those will help and in combination
with a 5.7 probably work well on this boat. I'm guessing that adds 6 to 8
grand to the base price though. A 5.0 with an alpha II would suck.

JimH[_2_] June 12th 08 02:06 PM

Bayliner 2655

On Jun 12, 7:59 am, "Reginald P. Smithers III" "Reggie is Here
wrote:
jamesgangnc wrote:
[...]

Wrong. The 7.4L was available.

Reginald P. Smithers III[_9_] June 12th 08 02:20 PM

Bayliner 2655

wrote:
jamesgangnc wrote:
[...]

Nah, I can't be wrong, because I really did think it was the largest
engine available.

A number of years ago, I owned a similar sized boat built from a
different mfg'er, it had a 5.7 and that was the largest engine available
at that time. It really was more than enough power for 5 adults. More
than 5 adults and the boat was too crowded, even for a day cruise.

I just checked Bayliner's web page, and the 5.7 is the only size
available today

I did not say it was NOT available, I just thought it was the largest
available. ;)

So, now that i know the 7.4 was available at one time, I would be wrong
if I said I think it was the largest available engine.

When was the 7.4 available on the 2655 and when did they discontinue
offering it as an option?

JimH[_2_] June 12th 08 03:40 PM

Bayliner 2655

wrote:
jamesgangnc wrote:
[...]

Do your own research. I thought you were the Google expert.

[email protected] June 12th 08 04:39 PM

Bayliner 2655

wrote:
jamesgangnc wrote:
[...]

offering it as an option?- Hide quoted text -

That might make sense. The hp options on the 5.7 take it close to the
low end of the 7.4 so if you combine that with a bravo3 or volvo
duoprop advantage plus the weight savings of the 5.7 it may make the
comparison close enough that bayliner decided to drop the 7.4. Of
course it could just be that no one bought enough. I'd pass on the
5.0 though. None of the 5.0 variations had much hp. Twin v6's would
be cool but I'm guessing no way is there space for that plus the added
expense of a second outdrive would not sell in this price range.