posted to rec.boats.building
Dan Dan is offline

Default Tinting Gelcoat

I need to make some burgundy gelcoat.

I can start with neutral gelcoat at $48.00 / gallon and add pigments
to get exactly the color I want.

I can buy it already colored to a match, but it's $200.00 / gallon.

Other than using 4oz / gallon of pigment to color the gelcoat, what
else do I need to do?

I heard of a pull test. It ensures no transparency at 18 mils dry film
and also ensures it will cure with that much pigment in it.
What is a pull test? How do you do it?

What do I need to do to ensure the gelcoat will cure properly and
cover without being translucent?

I have waxed two pieces of glass, about 3 x 5" and placed tape buildup
along two edges to give me .018" separation. I plan to catalyze a
little gelcoat and let it kick between the glass to check if for
transparency and also make sure it gets hard. Any thoughts?

Dan wrote:
I need to make some burgundy gelcoat.

I can start with neutral gelcoat at $48.00 / gallon and add pigments
to get exactly the color I want.

I can buy it already colored to a match, but it's $200.00 / gallon.

Other than using 4oz / gallon of pigment to color the gelcoat, what
else do I need to do?

I heard of a pull test. It ensures no transparency at 18 mils dry film
and also ensures it will cure with that much pigment in it.
What is a pull test? How do you do it?

What do I need to do to ensure the gelcoat will cure properly and
cover without being translucent?

I have waxed two pieces of glass, about 3 x 5" and placed tape buildup
along two edges to give me .018" separation. I plan to catalyze a
little gelcoat and let it kick between the glass to check if for
transparency and also make sure it gets hard. Any thoughts?

Take a look at the offerings at:

http://www.fiberlay.com/

Brian C

posted to rec.boats.building

A "pull test" is used to check the adhesion of paint on the substrate. I
don't think it has anything to do with how transparent it is. A real pull
test requires a rather expensive piece of equipment. A more DIY type test
would be to coat a sample substrate and let it cure. Then use a sharp knife
to cut a grid of 1/2" squares. Press some 3M 250 tape over the area, wait
10 seconds or so then jerk it off. If some square come off try a different
mix.

--
Glenn Ashmore

there of) at: http://www.rutuonline.com

Gelcoat vs.LP ashore Boat Building 9 August 24th 07 12:25 AM
gelcoat Terry Spragg Boat Building 0 November 30th 05 06:11 PM
gelcoat Brian Nystrom Boat Building 0 November 30th 05 01:54 PM
Gelcoat steve620 General 7 March 13th 05 02:23 PM
Gelcoat Grumpy General 4 December 21st 03 07:47 PM