posted to rec.boats.building

Default Submerged Motor

My 16 foot skiff capsized sometime during the night while tied to the dock.
I suspect it got hung up on the dock during the tide swing and the fuel
tank, anchor, and battery shifted to the side pulling it over and under.
The 4 inches of rain may have contributed even with the scuppers open (the
skiff is self bailing). The neighbors helped me get it right side up,
bailed out, and most all of the gear was recovered.

The motor is a '98 Yamaha, 3 cylinder, 30 hp. I drained the carburetors by
removing the drain plugs and flushed gas through them. I pulled the spark
plugs, squirted in some oil, and stroked the motor until nothing came out.
I positioned the pistons to top dead center and blew out the cylinders with
compressed air. The motor cranks freely until I put the plugs back. Then
to crank it, I must pull the starting rope a "lot" harder than in the past.
The motor turns but is very stiff. I dare not hook up the plug wires until
I am confident that the motor cranks as freely as before the drenching.

This procedure has worked for all the river folk I've talked to - they were
able to get the motor fired back in up without a shop visit.

Question: Have I missed something?

Cheers, FIN

Finecey wrote:
[...]

Maybe water in the case?

Finecey wrote:
[...]

I would guess there's still a lot of oil on the pistons and rings, so
the motor's compression is much higher at low RPM when cranking.
Try flushing the cylinders with pure gasoline or 2 % oil/gas mixture,
crank, crank, crank, drain and see if things change...
If there's no increased resistance with the plugs out, it would
seem safe to start up the motor.
Do that as soon as possible, and let it run for a good while.

Good luck,
-=EgeriK=-
posted to rec.boats.building
Dan Dan is offline

On Thu, 6 Mar 2008 01:22:24 -0500, "Finecey"
wrote:

[...]

Did you change the oil in the crankcase? Stupid question I know, but
you didn't mention it.
A crankcase full of water will make it real hard to turn over.

wrote:

[...]

What I would suspect is a bent crankshaft. Water in a cylinder and
something had to give. I am not a parts saleman, but I would bet on
bigbucks for the repair.

Casady

Finecey wrote:
[...]

Fin,
It is a 4 Stroke - correct?
The extra start load is probably the oil in the cylinders. If you
haven't forced it through a TDC, it is probably just fine.
You are good so far, but you should have changed out the lube oil as you
oiled the bores.
Drain the crankcase and refill it NOW.
Then, plugs out rip the rope until your arm is longer then the other.
Then, fuel it up and start it NOW.
The engine's internal heat is the best way to get the remaining water out.
Run it hard for an hour or so and then dump the lube oil again.
Keep doing the 1 hour drains until the lube oil stays clear. Milky look
is water and if it is there, it is rusting something..

Matt Colie (who has saved a few engines with the correct information.)
Lifelong Waterman, Licensed Marine and Congenital Sailor