banj

Default flipped boat motor submerged

Hello,I flipped my boat in shallow water this morning.I got out ok but
I am afraid the 120hp Evinrude V4 soaked for awhile before I got her
turned back over.The boat will have to stay awhile longer before I can
retrieve it.What can I do to help dry the motor out.Should I remove the
plugs and turn over by hand or leave it alone?Any help much
appreciated. Thanks,Banj

trainfan1

banj wrote:
Hello,I flipped my boat in shallow water this morning.I got out ok but
I am afraid the 120hp Evinrude V4 soaked for awhile before I got her
turned back over.The boat will have to stay awhile longer before I can
retrieve it.What can I do to help dry the motor out.Should I remove the
plugs and turn over by hand or leave it alone?Any help much
appreciated. Thanks,Banj

Leave it in the water until it can be serviced... & I mean right up
until the very second it is serviced. If you are even asking, I think
you should leave the service to an expert. This can come out OK if you
leave the engine submerged.

OOPS it looks like it's too late - you've already righted the boat!

Rob
banj

It is true I am new to boating but I am familiar with engines.Nothing I
can do to help the service guy out? Squirt oil in the cylinders?WD 40
electronics?Flip it back over? Thanks Banj

banj

Will do.I thank you sir. Banj

jerryeveretts

Way back in the day, I used to have a Jet Ski, and rode with a bunch of
other people who owned them as well. I had seend several Jet Ski's sunk
in the ocean. Only to be revived a half hour later on the beach. The
general method was a good freshwater rinse. Pull the plugs, spray CRC
heavily into the cylinders, turn the engine over several times, coat
the exterior and all electronics with WD40. Make sure the fuel is good.
put the plugs back in and start em up.
As a matter of fact, I even saw a Jeep Wrangler that was submerged, and
had the engine hydro locked. We took the plugs out, turned it over
until there was no more water in the cylinders, sprayed WD40 in the
cylinders, and on everything else. Put the plugs back in. Started it up
and drove it to the nearest convienent place to change the oil. All was
well.

trainfan1

banj wrote:
It is true I am new to boating but I am familiar with engines.Nothing I
can do to help the service guy out? Squirt oil in the cylinders?WD 40
electronics?Flip it back over? Thanks Banj

From the Owner's Manual:

MOTOR DROPPED OVERBOARD (NOT RUNNING):

If motor is recovered from water immediately, it must be serviced within
3 hours after recovery. See your DEALER. (See PROLONGED SUBMERSION.)

Since this motor is provided with needle bearings, it must be serviced
within 3 hours after recovery to avoid costly repairs. Both fresh and
salt water characteristically will start etching the highly machined
bearing surfaces of the crankshaft and connecting rods as well as the
bearings once exposed to the surrounding atmosphere.

If service is not readily available proceed as follows:

1. Rinse motor with fresh water.

2. DISCONNECT SPARK PLUG LEADS and remove spark plugs. Reattach leads
and ground plugs on motor block.

NOTE: To remove or attach leads, pull off or push on with a slight
counterclockwise twist.

3. Place motor in horizontal position (spark plug openings down) and
work out all of the water by rotating flywheel with starter
cord(emergency cord for electric start motors) approximately 10 times.

4. Place motor in upright position. Remove air silencer and plugs from
lower front of carburetors. Drain carburetors.

5. Starters and electrical equipment on motors that have been submerged
should be completely disassembled, cleaned, flushed with fresh water if
exposed to salt, and thoroughly dried before assembly.

6. Reassemble parts you removed and follow starting instructions. After
starting, permit motor to run 1/2 hour or longer on boat or in a test
tank with test wheel.

7. If motor fails to start, remove spark plugs again to see if water is
present on electrodes. Blow out any water from electrodes and reinstall
or replace with new spark plugs. If the motor still fails to start, HAVE
IT SERVICED IMMEDIATELY. Motors which have been submerged must be
started or disassembled as soon as possible or expensive repairs will be
necessary. To minimize damage, motor must be started or serviced within
approximately 3 HOURS after recovery.

NOTE: If motor cannot be started and if service is not readily
available, the motor should be re-submerged immediately in fresh water
to avoid exposure to the atmosphere. Make arrangements to have it
serviced with the least possible delay.

MOTOR DROPPED OVERBOARD (RUNNING):

Follow the same procedure as MOTOR DROPPED OVERBOARD (NOT RUNNING).
However, if there is any binding when flywheel is rotated it indicates a
bent connecting rod and no attempt should be made to start the motor.
HAVE IT SERVICED IMMEDIATELY.

MOTOR DROPPED OVERBOARD (IN SALT WATER):

Follow same procedure as MOTOR DROPPED OVERBOARD (NOT RUNNING) and
(RUNNING) but take the motor to your DEALER as soon as possible, even if
it can be started, as salt water can cause excessive corrosion of
ignition system and internal parts.

PROLONGED SUBMERSION (FRESH OR SALT WATER):

If motor has been dropped overboard and not recovered immediately, then
motor must be serviced within 3 hours after recovery. See your DEALER.
If sand has entered the motor, no attempt at starting should be made.
Return it to your DEALER for disassembly and cleaning.

Rob

banj wrote:
: Hello,I flipped my boat in shallow water this morning.I got out ok but
: I am afraid the 120hp Evinrude V4 soaked for awhile before I got her
: turned back over.The boat will have to stay awhile longer before I can
: retrieve it.What can I do to help dry the motor out.Should I remove the
: plugs and turn over by hand or leave it alone?Any help much
: appreciated. Thanks,Banj

I've been in this situation three times (neither of them when I was
in control of the boat... )

Here's what we did (and we got the motor running in every case).

Pull the plugs, turn over the engine to blow out the water. If you
can, like some of the articles here mention, have the plug holes
facing down to aid in draining the water out.

Pull the carbruetor bowls and drain them of water.

Dry any ignition parts (points, etc).. Use compressed air if it's
available.

Reassemble and attempt to start the engine. Use a "starting fluid" if
necessary. Run the engine long enough for it to heat up and dry out
any moisture.

If you're a perfectionist and have the money, take the engine in to
a dealer and have them check it out.

b.

trainfan1 wrote:
: banj wrote:
: It is true I am new to boating but I am familiar with engines.Nothing I
: can do to help the service guy out? Squirt oil in the cylinders?WD 40
: electronics?Flip it back over? Thanks Banj
:

: From the Owner's Manual:

: MOTOR DROPPED OVERBOARD (NOT RUNNING):

: If motor is recovered from water immediately, it must be serviced within
: 3 hours after recovery. See your DEALER. (See PROLONGED SUBMERSION.)

: Since this motor is provided with needle bearings, it must be serviced
: within 3 hours after recovery to avoid costly repairs. Both fresh and
: salt water characteristically will start etching the highly machined
: bearing surfaces of the crankshaft and connecting rods as well as the
: bearings once exposed to the surrounding atmosphere.

Camshaft and connecting rods are only present in a 4 cycle engine.
I think this guy has a 2 cycle engine which would negate the validity
of the information.

b.