posted to rec.boats.building

Default Adventures in Lofting

I thought I was a pretty good draftsman.
At least until I tried lofting hull shapes...
Buildings, machine parts, entire aircraft - no problems.

But fairing a hull can be a humbling experience.

Well, for grins and glggles, here are a few of my efforts so far.

http://www.home.earthlink.net/~cavelamb/draft.htm

Richard

"cavelamb himself" wrote:

But fairing a hull can be a humbling experience.

By defination, you're hull is "fair" when your arms are so tired you
can no longer pick up a fairing boardG.

Lew

"Lew Hodgett" wrote in message

"cavelamb himself" wrote:

But fairing a hull can be a humbling experience.

By defination, you're hull is "fair" when your arms are so tired you
can no longer pick up a fairing boardG.

Lew

Amen to that Lew, but I have a great solution to the sore arms problem.
When I started fairing our mahogany runabout I called in some favors from my
youngest son. He is 6'3" of solid muscle. I just showed him what to do and
he faired pretty much the whole hull.

Tom
Check out our boat www.edison-marine.com

"cavelamb himself" wrote:

But fairing a hull can be a humbling experience.

By defination, you're hull is "fair" when your arms are so tired you
can no longer pick up a fairing boardG.

Lew

Amen to that Lew, but I have a great solution to the sore arms problem.
When I started fairing our mahogany runabout I called in some favors from my
youngest son. He is 6'3" of solid muscle. I just showed him what to do and
he faired pretty much the whole hull.

Tom
Check out our boat www.edison-marine.com

Having done quite a bit of aircraft fiberglass work I can relate to what
you guys are saying.

But MY issue was with _drafting_ the damned things.

My mouse button finger is what's sore!

Richard

Trying again...

cavelamb himself wrote:
I thought I was a pretty good draftsman.
At least until I tried lofting hull shapes...
Buildings, machine parts, entire aircraft - no problems.

But fairing a hull can be a humbling experience.

Well, for grins and giggles, here are a few of my efforts so far.

http://www.home.earthlink.net/~cavelamb/draft.htm

Richard

Well Richard,

This is no surprise to a third generation boat builder.

The pictures look pretty good.

It that first one your design?

I don't like working with a baseline other than zero draft because I
always get screwed up doing the TPI, trim and stability calculations.

It does get a little easier when working on the lofting floor at full
scale. The you can go back and correct the offset table.

Matt Colie

Matt Colie wrote:

cavelamb himself wrote:

I thought I was a pretty good draftsman.
At least until I tried lofting hull shapes...
Buildings, machine parts, entire aircraft - no problems.

But fairing a hull can be a humbling experience.

Well, for grins and giggles, here are a few of my efforts so far.

http://www.home.earthlink.net/~cavelamb/draft.htm

Richard

Well Richard,

This is no surprise to a third generation boat builder.

The pictures look pretty good.

It that first one your design?

I don't like working with a baseline other than zero draft because I
always get screwed up doing the TPI, trim and stability calculations.

It does get a little easier when working on the lofting floor at full
scale. The you can go back and correct the offset table.

Matt Colie

It's (supposed to be) a Catalina 27.

cavelamb himself wrote:
Matt Colie wrote:

cavelamb himself wrote:

I thought I was a pretty good draftsman.
At least until I tried lofting hull shapes...
Buildings, machine parts, entire aircraft - no problems.

But fairing a hull can be a humbling experience.

Well, for grins and giggles, here are a few of my efforts so far.

http://www.home.earthlink.net/~cavelamb/draft.htm

Richard

Well Richard,

This is no surprise to a third generation boat builder.

The pictures look pretty good.

It that first one your design?

I don't like working with a baseline other than zero draft because I
always get screwed up doing the TPI, trim and stability calculations.

It does get a little easier when working on the lofting floor at full
scale. The you can go back and correct the offset table.

Matt Colie

It's (supposed to be) a Catalina 27.

Gee, I though it looked real familiar.
Matt

Matt Colie wrote:

cavelamb himself wrote:

Matt Colie wrote:

cavelamb himself wrote:

[...]

I had this lame idea I was going to try when I pull my boat out
for the winter. But I can't bring it home because it's too
tall for the city standards, so I dunno now.

Anyway, the idea was to level the boat and use a few laser levels
to pick off the frames shapes.

Set up the lasers so as to draw a vertical line every 2 or 3 feet and
one horizontally at the water line.

Add a couple of vertical lines to pick off the buttlines too (side shot).

Take a digital photo - one front - one aft with the "waterline"
reference at the same height on my tripod...

Load the photos into CAD and trace off the frames.

I can't capture the waterlines that way, but the buttlines and frames
should be enough to get a fairly accurate start....

Should work ok, don't ya think?

Richard

posted to rec.boats.building

Richard,
You have done a very good job of recreating a lines drawing on a computer,
but your effort has nothing to do with lofting. Lofting is laying out on a
wooden floor the full lines drawings full scale for the purpose of template
generation, one on top of the other using the table of offsets as an initial
starting point. Fairing the lines occurs during this process by driving
nails in the floor at line intersections and subsequently bending an
appropriate batten around the nails to scribe the line. When the battens
fails to bear on a nail, the nail is then removed and redriven at the
correct point. The offset from the table is then remeasured and entered into
a new table that is called the "corrected table of offsets". Only then can
templates be taken off the lofting for the manufacture of the individual
components to stand up the actual hull. This is not done with a mouse while
sitting comfortably in a chair. It is extremely hard work done on your hands
and knees for many days on end. No computer will ever replace this task,
even big ship yards still must bulletproof the table of offsets for CNC
cutting machines to be accurate.
Steve

"cavelamb himself" wrote in message
I thought I was a pretty good draftsman.
At least until I tried lofting hull shapes...
Buildings, machine parts, entire aircraft - no problems.

But fairing a hull can be a humbling experience.

Well, for grins and glggles, here are a few of my efforts so far.

http://www.home.earthlink.net/~cavelamb/draft.htm

Richard

posted to rec.boats.building
Senior Member

On Nov 29, 2:41 pm, "Steve Lusardi" wrote:
[...]

Richard- Hide quoted text -

:O

Lofting Don Dando Boat Building 0 February 2nd 07 01:38 AM
Lofting Book Don Dando Boat Building 2 November 16th 06 08:37 PM
OT The Adventures of Knuckles [email protected] General 0 November 17th 05 07:31 PM
lofting software Kevin Brooker Boat Building 4 October 14th 05 11:23 PM
Diagonals in lofting Hollywood Boat Building 17 July 7th 04 12:37 PM