posted to rec.boats.building
cavelamb himself[_4_] cavelamb himself[_4_] is offline

Default Adventures in Lofting

Matt Colie wrote:

cavelamb himself wrote:

I thought I was a pretty good draftsman.
At least until I tried lofting hull shapes...
Buildings, machine parts, entire aircraft - no problems.

But fairing a hull can be a humbling experience.

Well, for grins and giggles, here are a few of my efforts so far.

http://www.home.earthlink.net/~cavelamb/draft.htm

Richard

Well Richard,

This is no surprise to a third generation boat builder.

The pictures look pretty good.

It that first one your design?

I don't like working with a baseline other than zero draft because I
always get screwed up doing the TPI, trim and stability calculations.

It does get a little easier when working on the lofting floor at full
scale. The you can go back and correct the offset table.

Matt Colie

It's (supposed to be) a Catalina 27.