posted to rec.boats.building

Default Yanmar or Westerbeke?

On Sep 14, 2:01 pm, "Lew Hodgett" wrote:
"Frogwatch" wrote:
Am not sure why Hodgett does not like Yanmar. I have had two and

they
are the most reliable machines I have ever seen.

I was the proud owner of a YSM12, a one lung, raw water cooled beast
that snapped engine mount studs as frequently as some people change
their underwear.

Finally had to install an AquaDrive system to isolate the engine from
the boat hull and eliminate the snapping studs problem.

Little did I realize until much later that Yanmar had withdrawn the
YSM12 from the marine market and my builder had evidently picked up my
engine at a close out sale.

Had the boat 11 years, and that YSM12 was a PITA the entire time.

Today's Yanmar product is a high RPM, low weight unit designed for the
power boat market, not a low RPM, high torque unit designed for a
sailboat application.

Yanmar has figured out the the power boat market spends money and the
sail boat market talks everything to death, but doesn't spend any
money.

Lew

I have a friend with a YSM12 in his 27' sailboat. He installed it
himself so maybe he does not have stock mounts. My old 1GM broke a
mount but I never got around to fixing it for 9 yrs and never had
another prob with it. That little engine sounded like the African
Queen but in 9 yrs started EVERY time no matter what. It was also
very easy to work on. I thought it was a great piece of engineering
but at 6.5 hp, a little small for my 7700 lb S2. So, I found a use
2GM (13 hp) and I think it is also wonderful (installed it myself). I
admit, this is only two data points.

"Frogwatch" wrote:

I have a friend with a YSM12 in his 27' sailboat. He installed it
himself so maybe he does not have stock mounts.

I don't think there ever were any "stock" mounts. If it worked, it worked.

That little engine sounded like the African
Queen but in 9 yrs started EVERY time no matter what.

You betcha. Thought about Hepburn and Bogie everytime that little beast was
at idle.

Could point upstream and idle in place against about a 1-2 knot current at
less than 1,000 engine RPM..

It was also
very easy to work on. I thought it was a great piece of engineering
but at 6.5 hp, a little small for my 7700 lb S2.

Nice boat.

So, I found a use
2GM (13 hp) and I think it is also wonderful (installed it myself).

Different engine.

The YSM8/12 were great inustrial engines, not so great as marine units.

The points remains that today's Yanmar product line is a light weight, high
RPM family much like the old VWs.

Works well in a hight speed power boat, not so well in a sailboat which
needs high torque, low RPM.

Lew

On Sep 16, 12:34 am, "Lew Hodgett" wrote:
"Frogwatch" wrote:
[...]

The 1GM and 2GM do have stock mounts with huge rubber flex pads.
When I bought my S2 with the 1GM, i was worried about being able to
power into thunderstorms (we have a lot of them here in N. FL) so I
had the 2 blade prop replaced with a 3 blade and it seemed to work
well. I once ran from Naples, FL to St. Marks FL no wind at all the
entire time for 250 miles and burned only 12 gallons of fuel at 5 kts
the whole time. That little engine never missed a beat.

posted to rec.boats.building

On Thu, 13 Sep 2007 16:02:14 -0700, daddyo
wrote:

I've got a 1966 Hinckley Pilot with a 1978 Westerbeke 40 HP diesel
that is probably on its last legs. Would much appreciate anyone's
wisdom/experience on choosing a replacement diesel. My yard is
recommending another Westerbeke but all the sailors I talk to say
Yanmar.

My genset has a 35 hp Yanmar diesel that is still going strong after
2,000 hours in three years. It replaced a 10 year old Westerbeke that
was getting flaky in a variety of ways.
posted to rec.boats.building

On Sep 14, 5:48 am, Frogwatch wrote:
On Sep 14, 3:37 am, wrote:

Jeff:

A bit of additional research on my part reveals that the Westerbeke
44B Four and the Vetus M 4.17 are the same Mitsubishi block... the
Mitsubishi is, in fact 'self-bleeding' (I own one) which is a nice
feature but perhaps not one to base a decision on

Don't get confused at the Volvo site; all of their photos show the
engine attached to a saildrive, but all are in reality equally
available with standard marine transmissions. Your best bet seems to
be...

http://www.volvo.com/NR/rdonlyres/EE...C6-5100F8A3BEB...

Volvo has a reputation for expensive parts, *but* their engines are
now made by Perkins which has a long and proud tradition of rock solid
diesel engines. Want proof? Note the displacement / bore / stroke of
the Volvo in the above .pdf with the Perkins model 404D-15 he

http://www.perkins.com/cda/layout?m=97265&x=7

So, if Volvo is simply 'marinizing' a Perkins, and if Perkins parts
are widely available and resonably priced, why shy away? Too, the
Volvo has a whopping 115 Amp alternator as standard equipment... which
is a nice feature, but perhaps not one to base a decision on

I believe Yanmar makes a fine product, and unlike all of the above,
it's *their own* product, i.e. they aren't 'marinizing' someone else's
block - it's a Yanmar from tip to tail. This might be considered a
good thing by some, and a bad thing by others.

My suggestion would be to print out the various spec sheets available
from these manufacturers for the 40+/- hp engines, grab a highlighter
and start making notes.

With a few hours study, you'll be well on your way to making a
informed decision, which will give you a leg up when it comes time to
buy.

Let us know what you decide, and - perhaps more importantly - why!

MW

Am not sure why Hodgett does not like Yanmar. I have had two and they
are the most reliable machines I have ever seen.- Hide quoted text -

Ditto my experience. Yanmar very reliable. I've had various 1, 2, and
3 cylinder Yanmars, all reliable. Very, very important to have good
shaft alignment with any engine installation. Poor alignment is the
usual cause of motor mount breakage, although some mounts aggravate
the problem by sagging. Also very important: clean fuel and proper
propellor match. With proper gearing and prop match, high rpm engines
very OK for sailboats. The only real disadvantage is that hand
starting can be next to impossible with the low flywheel mass, so be
sure to maintain your starting system (battery, wiring, starter
motor).
Paul Mathews