posted to rec.boats.building
GSS GSS is offline

Default attaching new epoxy to old fiberglass

Hi, I have a large sportfisher that I want close up the salon
windshield with a solid fiberglass panel. I was going to cover the
windows with plywood and then fiberglass over it. I was going to use
epoxy & glass versus polyester & glass. Can I connect the new epoxy
to the old polyester?

On Aug 31, 9:40 am, Matt Colie wrote:
wrote:
On Thu, 30 Aug 2007 14:58:13 -0700, GSS wrote:

Hi, I have a large sportfisher that I want close up the salon
windshield with a solid fiberglass panel. I was going to cover the
windows with plywood and then fiberglass over it. I was going to use
epoxy & glass versus polyester & glass. Can I connect the new epoxy
to the old polyester?

That's actually preferred, as the epoxy will have a superior bond. make sure you
carefully seal the plywood (especially the edges) with epoxy as well. 5 years
from now, it will make a difference!

Epoxy will adhere to polyester better that polyester will adhere to
polyester. Polyester is actually quite famous for cohesive (a bond with
other polyester) bond failures.

If you are going to put the plywood in the window space and glass over
it, sealing the plywood is actually not the best idea. The epoxy and
glass bond to the plywood will be good enough to create a solid
structure and sealing the plywood will only serve to keep any moisture
that does infiltrate from escaping. Good epoxy will bond to the plywood
so well that there will not be a shear failure of the bond caused by the
changing moisture level of the core stock.

It will make the cabin spaces quite a lot darker.

Matt Colie

why not use foam instead of plywood. It won't rot.