posted to rec.boats.building
Thomas Wentworth

Default Chainplates ,, attaching to hull

Yesterday, a break in the winter weather, allowed me to take a look at a
boat that I am interested in. The hull was factory laid up, nice hull,
classic design.

The remainder of the boat was "homemade, finished by whomever".

Although the work done by the builder was not up to professional standards,
it wasn't totally awful. There is much cleaning up, painting, etc that
needs to be done.

Two major repairs stand out. And this is where I need your expert help.

The bulkhead amidships is plywood. At the bottom of this ply is rotted.
There has been some repair.
The "chainplates". They come through the deck and are supported by the
underside of the deck. They are NOT CONNECTED TO THE HULL, THE BULKHEADS,
OR THE ANYTHING. THEY ARE CONNECTED TO THE BOTTOM OF THE DECK.

I was stunned. This boat was surveyed 2 years ago. The surveyer did not
mention that this was a problem.

Am I wrong, don't the chainplates need to be connected to very strong
supports such as bulkheads that are connected to the hull or the hull
itself?

Please tell me what the supports for chainplates must be.

Thanks,,

Wentworth

posted to rec.boats.building
Evan Gatehouse

Thomas Wentworth wrote:
[...]

If it's a small boat (say 24' or less) this has been done,
often with lower shrouds. Especially if the chainplate is
near the deck edge. I agree, it's not a good idea. Decks
tend to pull up of course. Best bet is to glass in a kneee
at the chainplate location and bolt a proper chainplate to
the knee

Evan Gatehouse

"Evan Gatehouse" wrote in message
Thomas Wentworth wrote:
[...]

Evan,, thanks for the reply. The boat in question is a 35' full keel boat.
This is a pretty heavy displacement boat. As such, I would think that the
sails, rigging etc would be a large load. I know I was very confused when I
looked at the chainplates from below. I have never been in a boat anywhere
this large that didn't have chainplates that came through the deck and then
were connected to a bulkhead or some strong member that was attached to the
hull.

In fact, I think I remember looking at one boat that had chainplates that
were bolted thru the hull and then thru a block or something on the inside
of the hull that was fiberglassed over.

On this boat the chainplates came through the deck, down under the deck and
then connected to a flat piece of metal that was screwed up into the deck
supports. These were pieces of wood and not very think.

Wentworth

posted to rec.boats.building

The best thing you can do is stay away from this boat, there are so many others
out there. This is most likely
one of many problems.The rest have not shown up yet.
Jake in NJ

wrote in message
The best thing you can do is stay away from this boat, there are so many
others
out there. This is most likely
one of many problems.The rest have not shown up yet.
Jake in NJ

--------------
Jake, you are probably right. The boat has a bunch of builder problems. I
did put a call into a boat builder nearby to where the boat sits. I figure
I can throw out all the issues that I came across, and see what he thinks.

At the right price, which would be very low, maybe the boat could be partly
rebuilt. The hull is a classic design, very well laid up fiberglass.

In he end though,,, your advice is probably the road to follow.

Wentworth

Thomas Wentworth wrote:

[...]

The big question is how much time do you want to spend on rebuilding or sailing.
I know of too many friends that tried to save money and spent many years on
rebuilding which cost time and money, and still have problems. If a boat is
built poorly the problems are only compounded as the build goes on.

Jake in NJ