posted to rec.boats.building
Evan Gatehouse

Default Chainplates ,, attaching to hull

Thomas Wentworth wrote:
Yesterday, a break in the winter weather, allowed me to take a look at a
boat that I am interested in. The hull was factory laid up, nice hull,
classic design.

The remainder of the boat was "homemade, finished by whomever".

Although the work done by the builder was not up to professional standards,
it wasn't totally awful. There is much cleaning up, painting, etc that
needs to be done.

Two major repairs stand out. And this is where I need your expert help.

The bulkhead amidships is plywood. At the bottom of this ply is rotted.
There has been some repair.
The "chainplates". They come through the deck and are supported by the
underside of the deck. They are NOT CONNECTED TO THE HULL, THE BULKHEADS,
OR THE ANYTHING. THEY ARE CONNECTED TO THE BOTTOM OF THE DECK.

I was stunned. This boat was surveyed 2 years ago. The surveyer did not
mention that this was a problem.

Am I wrong, don't the chainplates need to be connected to very strong
supports such as bulkheads that are connected to the hull or the hull
itself?

Please tell me what the supports for chainplates must be.

Thanks,,

Wentworth

If it's a small boat (say 24' or less) this has been done,
often with lower shrouds. Especially if the chainplate is
near the deck edge. I agree, it's not a good idea. Decks
tend to pull up of course. Best bet is to glass in a kneee
at the chainplate location and bolt a proper chainplate to
the knee

Evan Gatehouse