krj

Default water tank repair-west system epoxy or fiberglass resin

I need to repair a leaking seam on my fiberglass water tank. Somewhere I
think I read not to use epoxy in a water tank. Is this correct? Should
only fiberglass resin be used inside a fresh water tank?
krj
Da Kine

Epoxy will work great but be sure to wash the inside of the tank after
it cures. There will be a residue you need to clean off.

Don't use west though- it is over rated and extremely expensive. If
you are in the US you can order a 2-1 epoxy from Joes auto body and
marine supply 1-954-527-9200. They have other stores but I only have
the Fort Lauderdale number. Ask for the 2-1 and make sure you get the
guy on the phone to check 3 times that he has part A and part B. These
guys are good at what they do but they breathe that junk all day and
are a bit high most of the time - no joking. They also have the best
price I have found on cloth especially when you buy an end lot.

May your anchor be tight, your corks be loose, your rum be spiced and
your compass be true.
--
Captain Danny Taddei

krj

Da Kine wrote:

Epoxy will work great but be sure to wash the inside of the tank after
it cures. There will be a residue you need to clean off.

Don't use west though- it is over rated and extremely expensive. If
you are in the US you can order a 2-1 epoxy from Joes auto body and
marine supply 1-954-527-9200. They have other stores but I only have
the Fort Lauderdale number. Ask for the 2-1 and make sure you get the
guy on the phone to check 3 times that he has part A and part B. These
guys are good at what they do but they breathe that junk all day and
are a bit high most of the time - no joking. They also have the best
price I have found on cloth especially when you buy an end lot.

May your anchor be tight, your corks be loose, your rum be spiced and
your compass be true.

Joe's Auto is only about 2 miles from my house. I get a lot of supplies
there. They will custom match gelcoat also.
krj
Da Kine

Are you in Fort Lauderdale? I have not been in their new store and fear
it when I do have to go. Does it stink as bad as the last one?

krj

Da Kine wrote:

Are you in Fort Lauderdale? I have not been in their new store and fear
it when I do have to go. Does it stink as bad as the last one?

Yes, I'm in Ft. Lauderdale. The new store is very clean and modern.
krj

wrote:

Da Kine wrote:

Are you in Fort Lauderdale? I have not been in their new store and fear
it when I do have to go. Does it stink as bad as the last one?

Yes, I'm in Ft. Lauderdale. The new store is very clean and modern.
krj

I don't know if they have a web site. I have their catalog here some
place. I'll find it and see if a web site is listed. Their ad in the
Waterfront News lists an email of .
krj
krj
krj

wrote:

Da Kine wrote:

Are you in Fort Lauderdale? I have not been in their new store and fear
it when I do have to go. Does it stink as bad as the last one?

Yes, I'm in Ft. Lauderdale. The new store is very clean and modern.
krj

Try http://www.fgci.com/
krj
Da Kine

you mean
http://www.fgci.com

You added your krj to it

Rich Hampel

Epoxy is best but you need an FDA rated grade for POTABLE water .....
--- kind of hard to find. If you dont use a rated for potable water
the leachables from the epoxy can be harmful.