posted to rec.boats.building

Default home built tri's?

Hi all,
what's the way to go for plans for home built tri's? Im after something in
the 25-30 foot range, trailerable and hopefully light. It's only for two
people and we dont have much gear to carry so if i can keep weight down with
pre-made composite panels in place of ply, I think I'd do ok. Im hoping for
something reasonably quick, but it needn't be a racer. Ease of build and a
robust design are really the most critical things. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Shaun

Shaun Van Poecke wrote:
Hi all,
what's the way to go for plans for home built tri's? Im after something in
the 25-30 foot range, trailerable and hopefully light. It's only for two
people and we dont have much gear to carry so if i can keep weight down with
pre-made composite panels in place of ply, I think I'd do ok. Im hoping for
something reasonably quick, but it needn't be a racer. Ease of build and a
robust design are really the most critical things. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Shaun

Dick Newick for beauty (I still love Vals)

Marples or Jim Brown (Searunner) for ease of build
http://www.searunner.com/about.html (they have a 25' and 31')

Evan Gatehouse

"Shaun Van Poecke" writes:

Hi all,
what's the way to go for plans for home built tri's? Im after something in
the 25-30 foot range, trailerable and hopefully light. It's only for two
people and we dont have much gear to carry so if i can keep weight down with
pre-made composite panels in place of ply, I think I'd do ok. Im hoping for
something reasonably quick, but it needn't be a racer. Ease of build and a
robust design are really the most critical things. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Shaun

Here is a list of links to a few multihull designers:
http://hem.bredband.net/b262106/deslinks.html
Ian Farrier, Tony Grainer, Kurt Huges, Erik Lerouge and Malcolm Tennant
have all designed trimarans. The Seaclipper 28 by John Marples (not
on the list) may not look very sexy but should be pretty easy to build
being a plat panel design. It is no rocket-ship but based on one day out of
Marina del Rey she is well balanced and do decent speed. It is definitely
a robust design.

Dick Newick's Val has been mentioned already, it sails real well
but would be a rather ambitious building project.

What else? Yes, Ian Farrier's plans are second to none when
it comes to detail and explanation on process. Follow the instructions
and in the end you have built yourself a nice trimaran unless you
are severely 'alternatively gifted' when it comes to tools.

--
Martin Schöön "Problems worthy of attack
show their worth by hitting back."

HATCH FROM SCRATCH - Home built Mic Cruising 3 August 31st 05 02:24 AM
Home built Trimaran Gary Warner General 1 October 12th 04 02:55 AM
Home built Reynaud Boat Building 6 September 25th 04 03:20 AM
Registering a Home Built Boat Frank Hagan Boat Building 12 July 24th 04 07:51 AM
Home-built wooden kayaks Jake Janovetz Touring 6 July 10th 04 12:34 PM