posted to rec.boats.building

Default How Easy Is It?

I am contemplating building a stitch & glue boat but have never built
anything (boats that is) before. I'm curious as to how easy or difficult it
really is before I start investing in plans. Are there any plans that are
truly easy for a novice?

I am interested in something unsinkable that can handle rough water pretty
well in the 16' to 20' range. Either a cuddy, small cabin or a center
console would be fine.

Jerry

posted to rec.boats.building

On Sat, 28 Jul 2007 09:04:46 -0400, "Jerry"
wrote stuff
and I replied:

You NEVER approiach bvoat building from the "easy" aspect. You are
talking small boat rough water. You need to look at saving your own
life. Have you _boated_ before? Boating is where you suddenly find you
are ON YOUR OWN.

I am contemplating building a stitch & glue boat but have never built
anything (boats that is) before. I'm curious as to how easy or difficult it
really is before I start investing in plans. Are there any plans that are
truly easy for a novice?

I am interested in something unsinkable that can handle rough water pretty
well in the 16' to 20' range. Either a cuddy, small cabin or a center
console would be fine.

Jerry

Human bevaviour: Bestiality with a brain
posted to rec.boats.building

On Sat, 28 Jul 2007 09:04:46 -0400, "Jerry"
wrote stuff
and I replied:

Anyway, do you want sail, motor, row?

boy!! arrgh!
I am contemplating building a stitch & glue boat but have never built
anything (boats that is) before. I'm curious as to how easy or difficult it
really is before I start investing in plans. Are there any plans that are
truly easy for a novice?

I am interested in something unsinkable that can handle rough water pretty
well in the 16' to 20' range. Either a cuddy, small cabin or a center
console would be fine.

Jerry

Human bevaviour: Bestiality with a brain
posted to rec.boats.building

Right now I am using a 16' Lowe aluminum with a Yamaha 15HP 4-stroke and
pretty much restrict my activity to bays and inshore waters. It handles
quite well providing its not too choppy but can still bang around pretty
good. On ocassion when the wind picks up it can get a little rough out
there and my concern is to have something that will always get me home
safely.

Jerry

"OldNick" wrote in message
[...]

Senior Member

"OldNick" wrote in message

On Sat, 28 Jul 2007 09:04:46 -0400, "Jerry"
wrote stuff
and I replied:

You NEVER approiach bvoat building from the "easy" aspect. You are
talking small boat rough water. You need to look at saving your own
life. Have you _boated_ before? Boating is where you suddenly find you
are ON YOUR OWN.

I am contemplating building a stitch & glue boat but have never built
anything (boats that is) before. I'm curious as to how easy or difficult
it
really is before I start investing in plans. Are there any plans that are
truly easy for a novice?

I am interested in something unsinkable that can handle rough water pretty
well in the 16' to 20' range. Either a cuddy, small cabin or a center
console would be fine.

Jerry

Human bevaviour: Bestiality with a brain- Hide quoted text -

There is nothing unsinkable, period, but I know what you are getting
at. As unsinkable as possible, without being rediculous Stitch and
glue with good plans, basic household tools, a C+ average in High
School shop, and a little patience, and just about anyone can have a
successful first build. Easy? I don't know, but certainly doable,
without too much stress if you just pay attention and take your time.
There are literally thousands of plans and plan sellers out there,
from the very basic, to the most complicated. Persoanlly I know
several, but for someone in your situation I would suggest you find
you boat at either Glenl.com, or Bateau.com. both of these sited offer
plans that cater to first time builders, the boats have actually been
built (not just some internet hero with a cad program), and they are
very basic to the point where any problem you find with the build can
probably be answered at the website, or here, or about anywhere. My
point is "Tried and true", and between those two sited, based on your
stated needs, you should be able to find the right tool (boat).

Just my opinion. If you take it, you may save weeks of research only
to get to the same conclusion

Note: I do not represent either of these websites, although I do get
materials from GlenL, and have had communication with the other in the
past.

posted to rec.boats.building
Senior Member

On Jul 28, 11:56 am, (Richard Casady)
wrote:
On Sat, 28 Jul 2007 14:48:59 -0000,
wrote:

There is nothing unsinkable, period,

Maybe. Many boats will float even if full of water. Of course you can
pump in sand. That will do it. Is that what you meant? You fill most
any freighter full of lumber and it will float, maybe with decks awash
for months or years. A boxboat will take forever to sink, with some
types of cargo. Nobody ships empty barrels or do they.

Casady

Well, the Titanic comes to mind Just kidding. I was stretching his
question to fit his situation. I think by his inquiry, he was looking
for something that would support him, even if he were in weather or
another situation he should not be in, weather by choice or lack of
experience on the water. I know there are boats, ie. carolina skiff,
whaler, that you can chainsaw in half and they will still float, but
can you survive 10 foot swells on that chunk of foam?

More than likely, the s+t boat this guy builds will not be foam core.
But if he goes to one of the sites I suggested, the flotation will be
functional, and reasonable. But I don't think, unsinkable, at least as
it related to the origional poster.

Anyway, it was one line in a long post, what did you think of the rest
of my advice?

posted to rec.boats.building

wrote:

[...]

Not bad.
You can sink about anything with an overload of dense cargo,you don't
actually need to work at it. Say you are stealing sand off the public
beach and you put too much aboard. It will have little
freeboard and... maybe a wake encounter and glug. I think there are
a ****load of sink resistant designs. One should suit and you did give
the guy a place to start.

Casady
posted to rec.boats.building

On Sat, 28 Jul 2007 10:25:12 -0400, "Jerry"
wrote:

Right now I am using a 16' Lowe aluminum with a Yamaha 15HP 4-stroke and
pretty much restrict my activity to bays and inshore waters. It handles
quite well providing its not too choppy but can still bang around pretty
good. On ocassion when the wind picks up it can get a little rough out
there and my concern is to have something that will always get me home
safely.

Jerry

I think that you have to refine your requirements a boat. You want a
"small" boat that handles "rough" water. How small is "small" and how
rough is "rough"?

If, for example, you reckon that 16 ft. is a normal length of a boat
then "rough" is going to seem mill pond smooth to, say, a 100 footer.

To carry this to an extreme, fully enclosed life boats will survive
weather that a boat many time larger will not, but this is a totally
enclosed boat; inboard engine; locked ports, etc.

I suspect that what you want is a sort of deep vee hull with
considerable flair to the bow section. This will go to windward pretty
well in moderate waves.

When you talk about self bailing, as another reply explained, you will
need to have the decks/cockpit floor above the waterline. To do this
on a 16 ft. waterline is going to result in a boat that is unduly high
for its length, less stability in other words.

I would suggest that you have a look at what hull forms are available
and talk to some of the people that own the ones you like the best.

Boats have been built since the days of hollowed out logs and just
about anything you can think of has already been tried. What you want
is out there, you just have to find it.

Once you find a design that you like you can probably find the same
basic design in a build it yourself set of plans.

Bruce in Bangkok
(brucepaigeATgmailDOTcom)

Why is it so easy? Capt. Rob ASA 4 July 22nd 06 12:52 PM
See how easy this is? Capt.Mooron ASA 3 June 11th 06 07:33 PM
See how easy this is? Scotty ASA 4 June 10th 06 07:06 AM
See how easy this is? Joe ASA 0 June 10th 06 01:47 AM
It is so easy to see. Bobsprit ASA 19 June 28th 03 11:32 AM