posted to rec.boats.building
CS CS is offline

Default Motorise manual anchor winch

I have a traditional dutch anchor winch with two speeds a chain gypsy
- vertical - and a drum end. One shaft has a sprocket wheel to enable
it to be motorised. I have decided to go electric and would like to
fit an electric motor. The winch maker recommends 750 - 1kW at 50-60
rpm. I am now trying to source a suitable motor and it seems that I
need a motor with a gearbox to reduce the 1440 or 2880 rpm down to
50-60 - assuming a 1:1 sproket gear ratio. I think the motor should
also be capable of providing an effective brake when not turning - ie
when the winch is clutched in to raise the anchor and chain, the motor
holds. Motor can either be mounted on deck - IP65 - or underneath the
deck - IP20 or so.

Looks like an in line gear motor with a brake that has a manual
release so that the winch can be used in normal hand mode.

Would welcome any other thoughts??

TVMIA.

On Fri, 27 Jul 2007 00:07:40 -0700, CS wrote:

[...]

Any particular reason why you are going with an AC motor?
--
Richard

Nb "Pound Eater" Parkend G+S
"Governments are like Nappies, they should be changed often."
(For the same reason)
posted to rec.boats.building
CS CS is offline

Any particular reason why you are going with an AC motor?

AC is readily available from either 240v alt on engine or 1 and 3
phase from gen set. DC is also available via 35mm2 cable run from
circuit board approx 15m from anchor winch.