posted to rec.boats.building
Senior Member

Default plywood for a tiny boat in Sydney, Australia?

On Jul 14, 9:30 pm, GB wrote:

Third, what type of plywood should I be looking for? Am I
correct in assuming that I must use 'marine ply' for this
light-use application in a small one-person boat, or are
there alternatives that I should consider? Price is more
of a consideration than durability, since my interest is
more in the building than the using!

Thanks in advance,

GB
--
"Most police misconduct occurs when citizens challenge an individual
officer's authority" (Reiss, 1971 c.in Jermier & Berkes 1979)

For my input I will suggest it is better to spend the extra dollars on
good marine plywood (preferably BS 1088). I have had instances when
bending standard ply, especially for smaller boats with tight curves,
it cracks or splits. If you crack a side putting it on, you will end
up spending as much as marine anyway

Not to mention, better ply will bend fair, making it easy to keep nice
lines on the boat, which also leaves you with a lot less fairing and
sanding too. Of course, it will stand up a lot longer than standard
ply, years longer with similar care, and will in the end, generally be
much lighter. Using BS 1088 Occoume can save you 25% on the weight of
the hull, even compared to standard marine ply. A standard sheet of
1220x2440 with a thickness of 6mm (appx. 1/4" for us yanks) is about
10kilo or 22lbs... for the yanks.

I actually just gave up on using standard plywood years ago, in the
long run, it's just not worth it.

posted to rec.boats.building

GB wrote:
I'm going to take this advice on my /second/ boat thanks guys.
Having looked a bit closer, the CD grade structural plys are
a lot cheaper than the good marine stuff, so I'll learn my
lessons on a cheap bit of timber, and take it from there :-)

You do *NOT* want CD. A decent (AB or BB) exterior would be usable
but not CD. Even with the better face plies you'd need to look for
sheets without obvious interior voids. Considering the cost of epoxy,
I wouldn't skimp on the cost of the ply it is to cover. Not to
mention time.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

posted to rec.boats.building
Senior Member

On Jul 16, 8:23 am, GB wrote:
wrote in news:1184543526.288358.141050@
22g2000hsm.googlegroups.com:

For my input I will suggest it is better to spend the extra dollars on
good marine plywood (preferably BS 1088).

OldNick wrote :

You have my concurring vote on that as well. The cost difference is
quite small.

I'm going to take this advice on my /second/ boat thanks guys.
Having looked a bit closer, the CD grade structural plys are
a lot cheaper than the good marine stuff, so I'll learn my
lessons on a cheap bit of timber, and take it from there :-)

GB
--
"Most police misconduct occurs when citizens challenge an individual
officer's authority" (Reiss, 1971 c.in Jermier & Berkes 1979)

I may have missed it, did you pick a plan yet or are you just gonna'
wing it?

"dadiOH" wrote in message
GB wrote:
I'm going to take this advice on my /second/ boat thanks guys.
Having looked a bit closer, the CD grade structural plys are
a lot cheaper than the good marine stuff, so I'll learn my
lessons on a cheap bit of timber, and take it from there :-)

You do *NOT* want CD. A decent (AB or BB) exterior would be usable
but not CD. Even with the better face plies you'd need to look for
sheets without obvious interior voids. Considering the cost of epoxy,
I wouldn't skimp on the cost of the ply it is to cover. Not to
mention time.

--

dadiOH

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

GB, I concur don't use CD grade it will fail at the voids when you bend
it, I built a one-sheet boat and that's what happened to the first one. The
cost between cheap materials and good ones is much less than you think,
especially in a small boat. The disappointment when the first one buggers
up is a factor if you involve your kids too. MRplywood is the way to go,
and they are everywhere. Good Luck.

Dain.