posted to rec.boats.building
OldNick OldNick is offline

Default plywood for a tiny boat in Sydney, Australia?

On Sun, 15 Jul 2007 23:52:06 -0000,
wrote stuff
and I replied:

You have my concurring vote on that as well. The cost difference is
quite small.

For my input I will suggest it is better to spend the extra dollars on
good marine plywood (preferably BS 1088). I have had instances when
bending standard ply, especially for smaller boats with tight curves,
it cracks or splits. If you crack a side putting it on, you will end
up spending as much as marine anyway

Not to mention, better ply will bend fair, making it easy to keep nice
lines on the boat, which also leaves you with a lot less fairing and
sanding too. Of course, it will stand up a lot longer than standard
ply, years longer with similar care, and will in the end, generally be
much lighter. Using BS 1088 Occoume can save you 25% on the weight of
the hull, even compared to standard marine ply. A standard sheet of
1220x2440 with a thickness of 6mm (appx. 1/4" for us yanks) is about
10kilo or 22lbs... for the yanks.

I actually just gave up on using standard plywood years ago, in the
long run, it's just not worth it.

Human bevaviour: Bestiality with a brain