posted to rec.boats.building

Default plywood for a tiny boat in Sydney, Australia?

Get "exterior grade" plywood available from Mr Plywood. It is basically the
same spec as marine ply without the high quality veneered face, therefore
cheeper.

For ecconomical clear finish apply 4-5 coats marine gloss varnish, thin the
first coat 50% with turps.

Craig

"GB" wrote in message
# This is a duplicate of a post I've just made to rec.woodworking,
seeperately posted here in the hope that someone here might be
able to help. thanks. #

Hi folks, this is my first post to this esteemed group. I'm
hoping that there's a few Australian participants besides
myself who might be able to cast some light on this enquiry...

I've recently stumbled across a couple of web sites with designs
for tiny one-sheet or one-and-a-half-sheet boats, and I thought
I might have a go at making one. There are a couple of gaps in
my knowledge though:

First, can someone suggest what I might expect to pay for an
appropriate sheet of circa 2440mm x 1220mm plywood in Sydney
Australia, along with suggestions as to a source. I looked
yesterday at my local 'Bunnings' (not really expecting to
find anything appropriate) and found that I could have any
sort of ply I wanted, so long as I wanted 600mm x 1200mm
sheets :-/ Locations from the city to the north-east are
most accessible to me. (Some indicative pricings from other
parts of the planet would be equally welcome)

Second, is there some sort of finish that I might apply to a
plywood boat that would provide the necessary waterproofing
whilst at the same time being clear, so the grain of the
wood remains visible?

Third, what type of plywood should I be looking for? Am I
correct in assuming that I must use 'marine ply' for this
light-use application in a small one-person boat, or are
there alternatives that I should consider? Price is more
of a consideration than durability, since my interest is
more in the building than the using!

Thanks in advance,

GB
--
"Most police misconduct occurs when citizens challenge an individual
officer's authority" (Reiss, 1971 c.in Jermier & Berkes 1979)