posted to rec.boats.building

Default sailboat repair - Oday day sailer - floatation?

I'm doing some repairs on my sailboat, an old Oday day sailer, and
when I removed the seat from one side I found a large tube of
styrofoam created with some large version of something like 'great
stuff' and a bunch of small sheets of white styrofoam. Is this
floatation required, beneficial? What type of products are available
to create custom styrofoam under the seat?

Thanks

bill wrote:
I'm doing some repairs on my sailboat, an old Oday day sailer, and
when I removed the seat from one side I found a large tube of
styrofoam created with some large version of something like 'great
stuff' and a bunch of small sheets of white styrofoam. Is this
floatation required, beneficial? What type of products are available
to create custom styrofoam under the seat?

Try U S Composites for pourable urethane foam.

You want the 2# stuff which is sold in a two part kit which can be
shipped UPS.

I used U S Composites located in South Florida, am I'm in California.

Good service.

Lew
posted to rec.boats.building

You've found the O'day's Flotation Foam - as to your "required /
beneficial" question, check out this well worded piece:

http://www.glen-l.com/weblettr/weble...flotation.html

You'll find 2 part polyurethane 'Flotation Foam' at Jamestown
Distributors, among a host of others.

MW

On Jun 24, 10:41 pm, bill wrote:
I'm doing some repairs on my sailboat, an old Oday day sailer, and
when I removed the seat from one side I found a large tube of
styrofoam created with some large version of something like 'great
stuff' and a bunch of small sheets of white styrofoam. Is this
floatation required, beneficial? What type of products are available
to create custom styrofoam under the seat?

Thanks

I wouldn't worry too much about floatation on that particular boat.
For custom floatation you could go to a Big Box hardware store like
Home Depot and buy a few sheets of blue insulation board. It is very
inexpensive, easy to work with and form, and impervious to water. Or
visit a custom surf board shop and pick up a block of foam.