BoatBanter.com

-   -   sailboat repair - Oday day sailer - floatation? (https://www.boatbanter.com/boat-building/81944-sailboat-repair-oday-day-sailer-floatation.html)

bill June 25th 07 03:41 AM

sailboat repair - Oday day sailer - floatation?

I'm doing some repairs on my sailboat, an old Oday day sailer, and
when I removed the seat from one side I found a large tube of
styrofoam created with some large version of something like 'great
stuff' and a bunch of small sheets of white styrofoam. Is this
floatation required, beneficial? What type of products are available
to create custom styrofoam under the seat?

Thanks

Lew Hodgett June 25th 07 04:28 AM

bill wrote:
I'm doing some repairs on my sailboat, an old Oday day sailer, and
when I removed the seat from one side I found a large tube of
styrofoam created with some large version of something like 'great
stuff' and a bunch of small sheets of white styrofoam. Is this
floatation required, beneficial? What type of products are available
to create custom styrofoam under the seat?

Try U S Composites for pourable urethane foam.

You want the 2# stuff which is sold in a two part kit which can be
shipped UPS.

I used U S Composites located in South Florida, am I'm in California.

Good service.

Lew

[email protected] June 25th 07 06:39 AM

sailboat repair - Oday day sailer - floatation?

You've found the O'day's Flotation Foam - as to your "required /
beneficial" question, check out this well worded piece:

http://www.glen-l.com/weblettr/weble...flotation.html

You'll find 2 part polyurethane 'Flotation Foam' at Jamestown
Distributors, among a host of others.

MW

roger[_2_] August 11th 07 11:32 PM

On Jun 24, 10:41 pm, bill wrote:
I'm doing some repairs on my sailboat, an old Oday day sailer, and
when I removed the seat from one side I found a large tube of
styrofoam created with some large version of something like 'great
stuff' and a bunch of small sheets of white styrofoam. Is this
floatation required, beneficial? What type of products are available
to create custom styrofoam under the seat?

Thanks

I wouldn't worry too much about floatation on that particular boat.
For custom floatation you could go to a Big Box hardware store like
Home Depot and buy a few sheets of blue insulation board. It is very
inexpensive, easy to work with and form, and impervious to water. Or
visit a custom surf board shop and pick up a block of foam.