posted to rec.boats.building
Senior Member

Default Plans for Whaler Sport type hull?

Anybody know of any plans preferably stitch and glue, for a small
13-15 foot sport boat with a similar shape or performance as the 13
foot sport whalers, trihull design? Or any other suggestions for
small, light open fishing boat, preferably not a pointy hull or single
V, but not flat bottomed either, that would fish one person, and fly
with a 25 horse? Thanks in advance for your suggestions.
NOTE: I have a lot of experience with resin and cloth/glass and good
wood working capabilities/shop and have done stitch and tape too, so I
can take on a more difficult build without much problem.

wrote:
Anybody know of any plans preferably stitch and glue, for a small
13-15 foot sport boat with a similar shape or performance as the 13
foot sport whalers, trihull design? Or any other suggestions for
small, light open fishing boat, preferably not a pointy hull or single
V, but not flat bottomed either, that would fish one person, and fly
with a 25 horse? Thanks in advance for your suggestions.
NOTE: I have a lot of experience with resin and cloth/glass and good
wood working capabilities/shop and have done stitch and tape too, so I
can take on a more difficult build without much problem.

You're asking for a lot. The whaler hull is pretty complex. You might
want to check out the Diablo or Diablo Grande:

http://www.instantboats.com/diablog.htm

If you have done stitch and tape you are probably already familiar with
the Payson boats. IMO, performance is not the whaler's strong suit but
rather safety and stability derived from whaler's sandwiched foam core
construction. There may be some buildable designs basrd on the
Livingston hulls that would meet your needs. If anyone knows of a
Livingston tack and tape knock-off I would be interested in seeing it.

Tom

On Jun 3, 1:08 pm, KD6EVM wrote:
wrote:
[...]

Yes, very familiar with Payson and the skiffs, however that is not the
right boat for the job. I need a fast, shallow boat that can be
powered easily or rowed for steerage in slow current. We would use
this boat for single handed fishing in skinny water or at times to get
out and play on the lake, aaaaaaand, it also needs to be useful as a
crabbing skiff which I think it will. I have designed a whaler type
hull of panels. It is 13 feet long and 5 feet wide. It should handle a
good size motor for speed between fishing grounds, and still can be
rowed around in the low water in crabbing season. Our origional
crabbing skiff was Paysons skimmer, still a very fun boat but a little
small for general fun. A 12 foot version would be ideal so I decided
to go 13 and add a tri hull and some pleasing lines. I may start this
week, I am very excited looking at the lines I have developed
(borrowed from pics of many Whalers I have seen) for my new crabbing
skiff. I am just wondering if I should come down to 4 1/2 feet wide
but that is my only problem at this point. I should also note that I
need a bigger fishing boat and looked at Diablo Grande, but have
decided on a John Gardner 16 foot semi dory instead which I hope to do
this fall or as soon as the runabout is done.

On May 30, 4:10 pm, wrote:
Anybody know of any plans preferably stitch and glue, for a small
13-15 foot sport boat with a similar shape or performance as the 13
foot sport whalers, trihull design? Or any other suggestions for
small, light open fishing boat, preferably not a pointy hull or single
V, but not flat bottomed either, that would fish one person, and fly
with a 25 horse? Thanks in advance for your suggestions.
NOTE: I have a lot of experience with resin and cloth/glass and good
wood working capabilities/shop and have done stitch and tape too, so I
can take on a more difficult build without much problem.

What you want is called a "garvey". There are plans in the two books
by the late Thomas Firth Jones which you might find at the public
library or can purchase via his website at www.jonesboats.com if it's
still there. Or you could try searching the Internet for "garvey"
which I have not done so can't say what will turn up.

They are simple high performance planing hulls apparently popular
among fishermen along the New Jersey shore. Jones compares them to
Bosotn Walers.

On Jun 4, 12:20 pm, Wm Watt wrote:
On May 30, 4:10 pm, wrote:

[...]

Yes, Gardner has a couple of great Garvey style hulls, one is the
right size but I want to build the tri hull. And for my "sound" boat I
wanted something with higher sides than the garvey, and that would
handle bigger water. Look at John Gardners 16 foot Dory Skiff in "The
Dory Book" by the same, it is a pretty boat I think I can build pretty
light. Thanks William nice to see you again so to say.

On Jun 4, 3:43 pm, wrote:
Yes, Gardner has a couple of great Garvey style hulls, one is the
right size but I want to build the tri hull. And for my "sound" boat I
wanted something with higher sides than the garvey, and that would
handle bigger water. Look at John Gardners 16 foot Dory Skiff in "The
Dory Book" by the same, it is a pretty boat I think I can build pretty
light. Thanks William nice to see you again so to say.- Hide quoted text -

Sorry, wasn't paying attention.
Maybe someone will read it an want to build a garvey.

On Jun 6, 11:21 am, Wm Watt wrote:
On Jun 4, 3:43 pm, wrote:

Yes, Gardner has a couple of great Garvey style hulls, one is the
right size but I want to build the tri hull. And for my "sound" boat I
wanted something with higher sides than the garvey, and that would
handle bigger water. Look at John Gardners 16 foot Dory Skiff in "The
Dory Book" by the same, it is a pretty boat I think I can build pretty
light. Thanks William nice to see you again so to say.- Hide quoted text -

Sorry, wasn't paying attention.
Maybe someone will read it an want to build a garvey.

No problem, I have not been real clear as to what I needed here as I
am still deciding what will be the right boat for me, or two boats in
this instance. I have all but ordered the material for the design I
finished, won't be long now till I have some sawdust in my hair again,
yipppppeeeee!

You wrote:
What you want is called a "garvey". There are plans in the two books
by the late Thomas Firth Jones which you might find at the public
library or can purchase via his website at www.jonesboats.com if it's
still there...

FYI: Yes, the site is still there, and Carol plans to keep it going and
continue selling the plans as long as people are interested in them. Of
course, Carol cannot provide the level of support that Tom did, but she can
put buyers in touch with people who have used the plans before and who are
willing to share the benefit of their experience.

posted to rec.boats.building

I have 3 Boston Whalers in my family ( two 17 foot Montauks and a 15
footer) and I'm building a dory because the Boston Whaler might be the
most over-rated boat in history. If your going fishing in a pond with
no waves a whaler is great. If the lake has waves a whaler will drive
you crazy.Forget about rowing a whaler. It's an awsome bayboat with a
shallow draft but I'll take a flat bottomed dory anyday over a whaler.
It's not a dry boat,you can't sail a whaler and it's terrible in
trailing seas. It's actually extremely one dimensional which is it is
good in shallow calm water and that's it.

On Jul 6, 5:58 pm, wrote:
I have 3 Boston Whalers in my family ( two 17 foot Montauks and a 15
footer) and I'm building a dory because the Boston Whaler might be the
most over-rated boat in history. If your going fishing in a pond with
no waves a whaler is great. If the lake has waves a whaler will drive
you crazy.Forget about rowing a whaler. It's an awsome bayboat with a
shallow draft but I'll take a flat bottomed dory anyday over a whaler.
It's not a dry boat,you can't sail a whaler and it's terrible in
trailing seas. It's actually extremely one dimensional which is it is
good in shallow calm water and that's it.

Thanks for the input. I will take another look at the Montauks, but I
think it is more of a vee hull with some planing decks, not a tri-hull
like the sport 13, I could be wrong but I will look. I actually have a
fishing boat for bigger water and the sound, but this one would be for
small lakes, fishing, only waves are the ski boats. I would probably
drag the kids around with a tube, and take it to the mouth of the
river nights for crabbing. That's why I am interested in the square
nose as it is best to crab with two up front and it's easier in a
square than a pointy skiff. Another problem is for the small lakes I
fish in now, my big pointy skiff is a little heavy to load and unload.
I will go look at some boats, see if I can get a ride in a Whaler
Sport before I start to build. If anyone wants to see the lines I drew
up, send me an email and I will send over a file made with Carlson's
"Hulls" software. I can send the whole program if you wish. It is a
self contained, simple program that runs within it's own directory, no
installation necessary. Anyway, hear is won't run right on Vista, but
it runs fine for me on Vista. I am not affiliated with Carlson and
have no interest except I think it is a cool program. And it's free.

Hull Type Economy Vic Smith General 35 March 7th 07 12:03 AM
rec.boats.paddle sea kayaking FAQ [email protected] General 0 May 21st 06 05:23 AM
Am I chasing my tail?? AP Boat Building 13 November 10th 03 01:56 PM
houseboat steel or alli scow hull plans fffff Boat Building 3 August 25th 03 11:24 AM
Hull speed theory? Sakari Aaltonen Boat Building 28 July 22nd 03 09:30 PM