posted to rec.boats.building

Default plastic barrels and floating docks

I am going to build some floating docks but before I re-invent the
wheel I would like to get some opinions. They will be 16' long by 3'
wide and at either end I would put a plastic barrel under it, inside
the frame. The frame would be 2X8 rough sawn Juniper and the decking
would be 1 1/4" X 3 . First of all would this be stable or want to
roll, should I put a 3rd barrel in the center? If the barrels were in
a framework but free moving could they act as rollers to help when
pulling the docks out of the water. The beach is very gradual. I am
doing this on the cheap so I am not buying any floating dock hardware,
brackets, plastic floats etc...Any other ideas would be appreciated.
Thanks

On Apr 19, 10:48 am, mark wrote:
I am going to build some floating docks but before I re-invent the
wheel I would like to get some opinions. They will be 16' long by 3'
wide and at either end I would put a plastic barrel under it, inside
the frame. The frame would be 2X8 rough sawn Juniper and the decking
would be 1 1/4" X 3 . First of all would this be stable or want to
roll, should I put a 3rd barrel in the center? If the barrels were in
a framework but free moving could they act as rollers to help when
pulling the docks out of the water. The beach is very gradual. I am
doing this on the cheap so I am not buying any floating dock hardware,
brackets, plastic floats etc...Any other ideas would be appreciated.
Thanks

In my opinion and experience, they will be unstable and want to roll.
They will almost certainly be more stable upside down than rightside
up. Most floating docks have one or more finger docks, which are the
narrow parts. If they're connected to each other perpendicularily,
this'll keep them from rolling. Putting a third barrel in the center
is only useful if you don't have enough floatation. It won't make it
any more stable. Probably the opposite. You don't have to buy
"floating dock hardware" to connect them together. Just get your local
metal shop to weld up some heavy hinges (2 per junction) with a
removable axis pin. Get everything hot dip galvanized.

-Maxime Camirand

posted to rec.boats.building

I do not know your location and what waves and tides actions you have.
If you are inland and you are looking to build floating docks on the cheap
to last for a year or so with ease of handling your approach could serve
you on a short term basis.

About using used plastic barrels, check where they coming from and what were
they containing.
I had to give up the idea of using plastic barrels because they had been
used for the transport of toxic chemical.
With today's environnemental bylaws it would be safer to check with the
proper authorities.
The following suggestions are subject to you area and waterway regulations.
In some location the design will have to be much stronger to meet the marine
environnement of were you are building the floats.
As for the construction of the 3' X 16' floating docks 2" X 8" rough sawn
juniper is on the light side.
What I used was 3" thick by 10" wide. This size is not easy to get by, but
if you have access to a local (or portable) lumber mill it is no problem.
As for the decking 1/4" X 3" is light I used 2" thick by 6" wide.
You said you doing this on the cheap. I suggest that you use steel corner
plate bolted through the cross member and the side stringer. Nailing could
do for a short term but I do not recommend it.

ups.com...

On Apr 19, 1:07 pm, wrote:
[...]

Thanks- Hide quoted text -

Small world I see you are from NB I am on PEI. It is in a sheltered
cove about 4' deep. The barrels are clean. The decking is is 1-1/4" X
3" not 1/4" X 3. As for the corners I would put 4X4 post vertically
on the inside and through bolt the 2x8's with Galv. carriage bolts.
What about the amount of floatation. The barrels will support around
600lbs each if totally submerged, any idea how heavy the dock would be?

posted to rec.boats.building

"mark" wrote in message
ups.com...
On Apr 19, 1:07 pm, wrote:
[...]

1-1/4" thick for decking is too light. I used min of 2" thick for decking.
4"X4" vertical corner post on the inside and through bolt the 2x8's with
Galv. carriage bolts.
is not the very best. With sea motions and tidal actions carriage bolts do
tend to gouge the wood under the shoulder head and slack off the corner
joints. Are you going to connect more than one 16 feet long float or you
are only building one? If you are going to connect several 16' X 3' float
together you need strong connection capable to resist the strongest
prevailing wind. If you have only one light float not properly attached and
anchored every time the prevailing wind pipes up in your small cove you will
have to pull your float off the water. Then when the wind calms down you
will have to push back the float in the water. On Grand Lake, NB. cottagers
have done that for years.
As for how heavy the floating dock would be I'll have to get back to my
notes and validate the weight for different type of timber like juniper and
hemlock.

posted to rec.boats.building

wrote in message

"mark" wrote in message
ups.com...
On Apr 19, 1:07 pm, wrote:
[...]

You are saying that you were to use Juniper lumber.

At time, Juniper is a localism and is used to describe other known lumber
trees species as Hemlock, Black spruce or Tamarack (Eastern Larch).

Please check http://www.macphailwoods.org/tree/larch.html and tell me what
species you are referring as Juniper.

posted to rec.boats.building

On Apr 19, 7:37 pm, wrote:
wrote in message

"mark" wrote in message
oups.com...
On Apr 19, 1:07 pm, wrote:
[...]

groups.com...

[...]

species you are referring as Juniper.- Hide quoted text -

I am refering to Tamerac or Larch, It is becoming very popular around
here for use in residential outdoor decks as it is resistant to rot.

posted to rec.boats.building

Speaking from someone who used barrels DON'T
it will be rock and roll heaven. If you do make it double wide! Go floats
the full length
"mark" wrote in message
ups.com...
I am going to build some floating docks but before I re-invent the
wheel I would like to get some opinions. They will be 16' long by 3'
wide and at either end I would put a plastic barrel under it, inside
the frame. The frame would be 2X8 rough sawn Juniper and the decking
would be 1 1/4" X 3 . First of all would this be stable or want to
roll, should I put a 3rd barrel in the center? If the barrels were in
a framework but free moving could they act as rollers to help when
pulling the docks out of the water. The beach is very gradual. I am
doing this on the cheap so I am not buying any floating dock hardware,
brackets, plastic floats etc...Any other ideas would be appreciated.
Thanks

posted to rec.boats.building

"mark" wrote in message
oups.com...
On Apr 19, 7:37 pm, wrote:
wrote in message

"mark" wrote in message
oups.com...
On Apr 19, 1:07 pm, wrote:
[...]

The green weight of Tamerack is 3.9 lbs for 1 BF that is 1" thick X 12" X
12"
This wood varies in weight on a regional level. When you do the weight
calculation you can only be sure at a plus or minus 10%. What we did is we
build one dock with its floats as a prototype. Then we launched this dock
and checked its center of gravity and the immersion depth. Luckily
everything was acceptable. Then we started to build more docks.
Tamarack was used in the old shipbuilding of New Brunswick for a very long
time.