posted to rec.boats.building

Default Removing Head,,,what about ??

I am taking out the head because it has no holding tank. Don't have the
money, time, or inclination to install a
smelly holding tank.

After the head is removed, I still will have the two lines .. raw water
intake and smelly water overboard discharge.

Of course, they both go to seacocks.

I don't want to permanently remove the lines/hoses.

What should I do about them? Of course I will shut the seacocks.

Should I put a plug on the lines? Any ideas about using them for other than
turds.

If you have removed a head, overboard discharge, and gone with a porta potty
... even for part of a season or longer ..

what did you do about the existing lines/hoses?

NE Sailboat wrote:
I am taking out the head because it has no holding tank. Don't have the
money, time, or inclination to install a
smelly holding tank.

After the head is removed, I still will have the two lines .. raw water
intake and smelly water overboard discharge.

Of course, they both go to seacocks.

I don't want to permanently remove the lines/hoses.

Yes you do...at least the head intake hose. You can use that thru-hull
for a washdown pump.

If you choose an "MSD" model portapotty (one that can be permanently
installed and fitted for pumpout, you can use the head discharge hose
and thru-hull to dump the tank at sea. A 5-6 gallon model will hold more
flushes than a 15-18 gallon tank attached to a marine toilet. I would
use a new hose...old hose tends to be a bit smelly...which is another
reason to get rid of 'em.
--
Peggie
----------
posted to rec.boats.building
MMC MMC is offline

Last time in the yard I installed seacocks for an A/C and a salt water
galley pump. Since installing either was going to have to wait until I was
out of the yard, I put brass threaded plugs in the sea cocks instead of the
tail pieces. Wasn't comfortable with the idea that the seacock could be
actuated (accidentally or just my kid mesiing around) and allow a steady
stream into the boat.
I'd toss the old hoses. The discharge will let you know why as soon as it's
off the head.
My 2c.
MMC