posted to rec.boats.building

Default Mixing micro portions of West System Epoxy

Anyone know of a source or trick for mixing small 2cc to 10 cc) of
West System epoxy? Tired of wasting the stuff when I just need a dab.

"Joe Bleau" wrote in message
Anyone know of a source or trick for mixing small 2cc to 10 cc) of
West System epoxy? Tired of wasting the stuff when I just need a dab.

Done it all the time. Use a small syringe to dispatch the correct amounts
into a small cup and stir it with a mixing stick/icecream stick/whatever
pice of wood with round edges. I mostly use those plastic cups used for
deserts. Try and find a type which is smooth and had round 'corner' between
side and bottom. Match the round end of the stick to this.

Meindert

posted to rec.boats.building

use glue syringes from woodworking storeor vetrinary supply.

Drew Dalgleish wrote:
use glue syringes from woodworking storeor vetrinary supply.

What I do with mine is mark them in 1/4" increments with a permanent
marker. That makes it easy to mix precise batches, as long as one
remembers the correct mix ratio.

On Mar 15, 11:42 pm, Joe Bleau wrote:
Anyone know of a source or trick for mixing small 2cc to 10 cc) of
West System epoxy? Tired of wasting the stuff when I just need a dab.

I buy LePages household epoxy in the small tubes and squeeze out a
drop or two each of resin and hardener onto a pice of cardboard or top
off a tin can, then stir and apply with a toothpick.

posted to rec.boats.building

I haven't felt that these methods were worth the time, as a a squirt (each)
of epoxy and ardener costs maybe $.30.

If you're going to need another dab in an hour or two, put the cup of mixed
resin in the fridge to retard he reaction.

"Joe Bleau" wrote in message
Anyone know of a source or trick for mixing small 2cc to 10 cc) of
West System epoxy? Tired of wasting the stuff when I just need a dab.

In an old job we used to buy epoxy premixed & frozen in little syringes,
you may be able to do that.
The problem with putting an open cup into the fridge or freezer is you
MAY get condensation all over the surface of the epoxy when you take it
out. Water and epoxy do not make for a good joint.