posted to rec.boats.building

Default Mast corrosion

My mast is laying on sawhorses. Upon inspection, I see corrosion
between the stainless plates where the stays fasten and the mast. These
are riveted on.
So, after I remove and clean up and check how much meat is left, how
do I reattach to prevent new corrosion between the dissimilar metals? If
reriveting, what type rivets?
This mast is bare aluminum. Should it be painted?
Thanks
Gordon
posted to rec.boats.building

I have used sail cloth gaskets and spray contact cement. On the rivets, I
use SS rivets bedded in anti-seize compound. On the painting, yes,
absolutely. This is especially true if the anodizing is gone. Use 3m
abrasive pads on a wheel and imediately paint with the highest quality
etching primer for aluminum you can find. Do this is small manageable
sections. You are looking for bond not beauty. After completion, apply high
build primers and sand to desired surface. Finish in polyurethane. Short
cuts here will lead to peeling paint.
Steve

"Gordon" wrote in message
My mast is laying on sawhorses. Upon inspection, I see corrosion between
the stainless plates where the stays fasten and the mast. These are
riveted on.
So, after I remove and clean up and check how much meat is left, how do
I reattach to prevent new corrosion between the dissimilar metals? If
reriveting, what type rivets?
This mast is bare aluminum. Should it be painted?
Thanks
Gordon

posted to rec.boats.building

paint the mast with an aluminum filled moisture cured urethane (MCU) -
this would be both primer and topcoat and will look a lot like a new
aluminum mast. You can paint over the MCU if you want another color.

paul oman
progressive epoxy polymers.

"Gordon" wrote in message

My mast is laying on sawhorses. Upon inspection, I see corrosion
between the stainless plates where the stays fasten and the mast.
These are riveted on.
So, after I remove and clean up and check how much meat is left, how
do I reattach to prevent new corrosion between the dissimilar metals?
If reriveting, what type rivets?
This mast is bare aluminum. Should it be painted?
Thanks
Gordon

Paul.
Your product looks interesting. Specifically, how would you prep?
Roll or brush? Number of coats? Shelf life of unused material?
Thanks
Gordon