posted to rec.boats.building
Steve Lusardi Steve Lusardi is offline

Default Mast corrosion

I have used sail cloth gaskets and spray contact cement. On the rivets, I
use SS rivets bedded in anti-seize compound. On the painting, yes,
absolutely. This is especially true if the anodizing is gone. Use 3m
abrasive pads on a wheel and imediately paint with the highest quality
etching primer for aluminum you can find. Do this is small manageable
sections. You are looking for bond not beauty. After completion, apply high
build primers and sand to desired surface. Finish in polyurethane. Short
cuts here will lead to peeling paint.
Steve

"Gordon" wrote in message
My mast is laying on sawhorses. Upon inspection, I see corrosion between
the stainless plates where the stays fasten and the mast. These are
riveted on.
So, after I remove and clean up and check how much meat is left, how do
I reattach to prevent new corrosion between the dissimilar metals? If
reriveting, what type rivets?
This mast is bare aluminum. Should it be painted?
Thanks
Gordon