MLapla4120

Default Mast pumping, how harmful is it?

Hi,
I have a sailboat and when it gets windy at the slip, sometimes there is
a vibration and the mast and rigging seems to resonate and vibrate. Someone
told me this is 'mast pumping'. I was also on another sailboat visiting and it
did it also. Nobody seemed concerned.
My question is; should I be concerned? We get regular wind here at twenty
knots and sometimes more. The pumping seems to last about 3-5 seconds.
Then, it stops and resumes a little later.

Thanks for any info.
Rich Hampel

Mast pumping is "a frequency response' of the mast to energy (wind)
pressure. Think of a violin string that vibrates - same thing. Every
structure on earth has a frequency that will excite it to vibrate at a
maximum .... called the natural frequency. How to stop a mast, etc.
from vibrating: change the natural frequency by tightening or loosening
the rigging and/or changing the 'vibrational' shape of the mast by
adding a little fore/aft "pre-bend" bend when you tune.

Harmful - yes in some cases. The metals of the mast, shrouds, and
shroud terminal connections have a service life based on 'load cycles'
(in the millions) and if these load cycles are appliied beyond a
certain strength limit (called 'endurance limit') will rapidly result
in *fatigue* of the metal(s). Stainless steel is especially vulnerable
to fatigue. Most of these oscilations will be be under the 'endurance
limit' and are harmless .... but you can never tell when the endurance
limit is exceeded (due to the dynamics of the oscilations .... and the
'bad' cycles start 'deducting' from the number of maximum cycles before
the metal fatigues (service limit).

At sea, one uses running backstays, etc. to dampen such oscilations.
There are other simple methods / tricks on a sailboat mast that will
render a mast less vulnerable to vibrate: Most single spreader masts
will GREATLY benefit from establishing a 1" fore/aft "prebend" - which
bends the mast in the middle towards the stern of the boat.; and which,
**radically** changes the natural frequency ... double spreader rigs
usuallly need 2" of pre-bend, etc. To set pre-bend, tune the mast
dead straight, etc. then tighten the forward lowers and loosen the aft
lowers until the pre-bend is set .... that's it. Simply sight up the
mast at the sail track, pull a halyard tight and adjacent to the sail
track and measure/estimate a space of 1" forward bow/bend.
A good sailmaker usually will include such normal pre-bend into the
luff cut of mainsail anyway .... so you probably should take advantage
and tune your mast with the pre-bend to start with ... and get a better
shaped mainsail as a side benefit.

In article , MLapla4120
wrote:

Hi,
I have a sailboat and when it gets windy at the slip, sometimes there is
a vibration and the mast and rigging seems to resonate and vibrate. Someone
told me this is 'mast pumping'. I was also on another sailboat visiting and
it
did it also. Nobody seemed concerned.
My question is; should I be concerned? We get regular wind here at twenty
knots and sometimes more. The pumping seems to last about 3-5 seconds.
Then, it stops and resumes a little later.

Thanks for any info.

Jeff Morris

I know of one case where mast pumping was blamed for compressing the mast step,
which led to severe pumping and rig failure. While the primary fault in this
case was a design flaw in the step, it shows that pumping can stress the system
in unusual ways. BTW, I know of a number of boats that don't worry about
pumping, though they check their rig more frequently than the above mentioned
boat.

"MLapla4120" wrote in message
Hi,
I have a sailboat and when it gets windy at the slip, sometimes there is
a vibration and the mast and rigging seems to resonate and vibrate. Someone
told me this is 'mast pumping'. I was also on another sailboat visiting and

it
did it also. Nobody seemed concerned.
My question is; should I be concerned? We get regular wind here at twenty
knots and sometimes more. The pumping seems to last about 3-5 seconds.
Then, it stops and resumes a little later.

Thanks for any info.

Wayne.B

On Wed, 28 Jul 2004 05:01:54 GMT, Rich Hampel
wrote:
Most single spreader masts
will GREATLY benefit from establishing a 1" fore/aft "prebend" - which
bends the mast in the middle towards the stern of the boat.

This sounds backwards to me unless we are using different terminology.
I think of pre-bend as bowing the middle of the mast in a forward
direction. The opposite of that is "inversion", i.e., mast bowed
towards the stern. Inversion is generally regarded as a bad thing
since it is contrary to normal structural design.

Any other opinions out there?

Rich Hampel

Pardon the 'brain fart'.
You are correct. Thanks for the 'editing'. FORWARD bow at the
middle is the correct practice.

A lot of the old time sailing ships (Schooners, bugeyes, etc.) that
used hoops to connect the main to the mast did in fact apply such an
'inversion' ... as a means to increase draft.

wrote:
Most single spreader masts
will GREATLY benefit from establishing a 1" fore/aft "prebend" - which
bends the mast in the middle towards the stern of the boat.

This sounds backwards to me unless we are using different terminology.
I think of pre-bend as bowing the middle of the mast in a forward
direction. The opposite of that is "inversion", i.e., mast bowed
towards the stern. Inversion is generally regarded as a bad thing
since it is contrary to normal structural design.

Any other opinions out there?

HLAviation

Ever see the film of the old Tacoma Narrows bridge? Same thing. Potentially
damaging? You decide. I'd do some rig tuning, but my methods are a bit
unorthodox and difficult to explain. The effect you are trying to achieve is
to break the ability for the rig to achieve harmonic resonance aka Mast
Pumping in your case.
"MLapla4120" wrote in message
Hi,
I have a sailboat and when it gets windy at the slip, sometimes there is
a vibration and the mast and rigging seems to resonate and vibrate.

Someone
told me this is 'mast pumping'. I was also on another sailboat visiting

and it
did it also. Nobody seemed concerned.
My question is; should I be concerned? We get regular wind here at

twenty
knots and sometimes more. The pumping seems to last about 3-5 seconds.
Then, it stops and resumes a little later.

Thanks for any info.

tyvek (long) William R. Watt Boat Building 2 June 30th 04 05:09 AM
Mast Rake and Mast Bend DSK ASA 48 January 16th 04 08:07 PM
Red over green mast light for sailboat Lee Huddleston Boat Building 4 September 15th 03 04:57 PM
Red over green mast lights for sailboat Lee Huddleston Cruising 16 September 10th 03 02:42 AM
Mast down (long) Peter S/Y Anicula ASA 1 July 1st 03 12:05 AM