posted to rec.boats.building

Default Head sink to grey water tank pipe angle

Does anyone know what the mimimum slope of this drain can be that will not
cause clogging? I really do not want to use a second grey water tank in the
forward end which will cause loss of space and another through hull fitting.
It is preferable to use one large tank for the whole boat.
Steve

Steve Lusardi wrote:
Does anyone know what the mimimum slope of this drain can be that will not
cause clogging? I really do not want to use a second grey water tank in the
forward end which will cause loss of space and another through hull fitting.
It is preferable to use one large tank for the whole boat.
Steve

In land based applications it's 1/4" per 12" of run.

Boats are entirely different because they can have a permanent heel or
trim. So I'd allow 1" per 12" on a small boat.

Evan Gatehouse

Steve Lusardi wrote:
Does anyone know what the mimimum slope of this drain can be that will not
cause clogging? I really do not want to use a second grey water tank in the
forward end which will cause loss of space and another through hull fitting.
It is preferable to use one large tank for the whole boat.

Why are you installing a gray water tank? Gray water (galley, bath and
shower water) can go directly overboard in all coastal waters and,
except for only 2 or 3 places, on all inland waterways too.

If you're mistakenly referring to toilet waste (black water) as gray
water, holding tanks should be within about 6' of the toilet--'cuz
that's as far as bowl contents will move in the amount of time anyone
will spend flushing. So if you want to avoid leaving waste sitting the
line, a single large tank to serve two toilets at opposite ends of a
larger boat isn't a good solution.

If you're thinking of combining black water and gray water in the same
tank, CG regulations won't allow it. Gray water and black water plumbing
and tanks must be completely separate...can't even share a common vent.

--
Peggie
----------
posted to rec.boats.building

Peggie,
Thank you for your reply. No, I have no intention of combining black and
grey water. The application is a sailboat. Sailboats live on their ear. All
drains are effectively below the waterline. In that light, draining through
conventional water traps into a large grey water tank with one through hull
and a single pump and check valve allow facility useage under all points of
sail in all weather conditions. To me, this is highly desireable and is a
better solution than shutting all outboard drains in heavy weather. This
solution is not available to all designs. There must be adequate headroom
and bilge depth to facilitate it.
Steve

"Peggie Hall" wrote in message
.. .
Steve Lusardi wrote:
[...]

Evan,
Thanks for the info. I also think 1/4" is too shallow, but I did not know
the recommended gradient. I will have to measure, but I think I can make 1"
per foot of run work.
Steve

"Evan Gatehouse2" wrote in message
Steve Lusardi wrote:
Does anyone know what the mimimum slope of this drain can be that will
not cause clogging? I really do not want to use a second grey water tank
in the forward end which will cause loss of space and another through
hull fitting. It is preferable to use one large tank for the whole boat.
Steve

In land based applications it's 1/4" per 12" of run.

Boats are entirely different because they can have a permanent heel or
trim. So I'd allow 1" per 12" on a small boat.

Evan Gatehouse

posted to rec.boats.building

Have you considered installing sumps instead of a tank? Gray water
tanks, because they contain food particles, cooking grease, soap scum
body oils and a whole bunch of other thing are MUCH harder to maintain
and keep odor-free than black water tanks. Sumps, otoh, can easily be
flushed and cleaned...they'd solve your problem and be so much easier to
maintain than a tank.

Otoh, maybe what you're thinking IS a sump...how large a gray water tank
are you envisioning?

Peggie

Steve Lusardi wrote:
Peggie,
Thank you for your reply. No, I have no intention of combining black and
grey water. The application is a sailboat. Sailboats live on their ear. All
drains are effectively below the waterline. In that light, draining through
conventional water traps into a large grey water tank with one through hull
and a single pump and check valve allow facility useage under all points of
sail in all weather conditions. To me, this is highly desireable and is a
better solution than shutting all outboard drains in heavy weather. This
solution is not available to all designs. There must be adequate headroom
and bilge depth to facilitate it.
Steve

I don't know Steve, it does depend on the boat and the location of the
sink. Our galley sink (well outboard under the side deck) on our 30'
monohull would fill slightly if the boat spent hours on one tack in
rough weather (heeling more than normal). Never enough to get on the
counter though.

The head sink was closer to centerline and never saw a drop from
heeling. Sinks closer to centerline are much better in this regard.

Oh if you do fit a sump tank, make sure you have a means to clean it
out often. Our shower sump tank got really funky when we showered
regularly.

Evan Gatehouse
posted to rec.boats.building

Peggie,
Yes, your description is better than mine, it is a sump. The sump(tank) will
be about 10 to 15 gallons with a float switch for the pump.

Steve Lusardi wrote:
The sump(tank) will
be about 10 to 15 gallons with a float switch for the pump.

When you were describing it as "large gray water tank" I had visions of
something 30+ gallons. 10 is easily manageable...15 can be managed,
but not as easily. Since it'll be pumped overboard automatically, you
may even find that 5-6 is large enough unless you have a cast of
thousands aboard, all running water at the same time.

There's an easy way to keep both the tank and the float switch clean and
sweet smelling without ever having to manually clean either one: Raritan
C.P. is a bio-enzymatic cleaner that not only destroys odor on contact,
but the enzymes in it "eat" hair, soap scum, grease and all the other
stuff that turns a sump into a smelly primordial soup. Fill the sump at
least half full with clean water and put about 4 oz down a drain--or an
ounce or two down each one of the drains--when it can stand at least
overnight...then flush the sump out with plenty of clean fresh water.

It's the only job on boat that I know of that requires -0- manual labor.

Steve Lusardi wrote:
[...]

Thanks Peggie. Your expert help is very welcome.
Steve

"Peggie Hall" wrote in message
. ..

Steve Lusardi wrote:
[...]

Author "Get Rid of Boat Odors - A Guide To Marine Sanitation Systems
and Other Sources of Aggravation and Odor"