Default Cannot See the Telltail Water Stream from the Motor

I left the boat in the driveway for one year without starting the
motor. Today, I put the lower unit into a bucket of water, and start
the motor to winterize it. After trying to start it for a couple
times, I finally manage to start it. Unfortunately, I cannot see the
telltail water stream coming out from the motor cooling system. All I
see is some smoke coming from the hole where the water stream is
supposed to come out from. Despite the fact that the motor temperature
was not overheating (only run it for 30 seconds or so), I decided to
turn off the motor just to be in the safe side.

My question is:

Should I expect to see the telltail water stream coming out from the
motor as soon as I start the motor? Does the motor need to reach a
certain temperature before the water stream coming out? The boatowner
manual said this:

"2. If engine is cold, run engine for 1 or 2 minutes ...
3. After engine has warmed up, check water temperature
gauge to ensure that engine temperature is not
abnormally high... Check that water is running from
the tell-tail on the back of the engine..."

This seems to suggest that the telltail water stream may not come out
if the engine is not warm enough. Considering the fact that the
overheating warning horn doesn't sound, the cooling system may not
really have a problem.

However, the Mercury Operation & Maintenance Manual for my 1995 Mercury
115hp outboard said this differently:

"10 Turn ignition key to START ...re-prime until engine
is running smoothly.
11 Check for a steady stream of water flowing out
of the water pump indicator hole.
IMPORTANT: If no water is coming out of the water
pump indicator hole, stop engine..."

This surely seems like I should expect to see telltail water stream
coming out as soon as I start the engine.

Now, I am really confused with this conflicting info. Obviously, I
don't want to risk overheating the motor. Can someone help me with
this?

Thanks in advance for any info.

Jay Chan

manual said this:

[...]

I'll ask a simple question. Is the bucket big and deep enough so that
the outboard's cooling water intake is below the surface?

"Don White" wrote in message
news

manual said this:

[...]

Either way, he needs to replace the impeller now.

Jay, do not run the engine anymore until it is replaced as you can do some
serious damage to your engine.

manual said this:

[...]

Yes, the bucket is deep enough, and I have enough water to cover the
water inlets in the lower unit.

Jay Chan

wrote in message
ups.com...
I left the boat in the driveway for one year without starting the
motor. Today, I put the lower unit into a bucket of water, and start
the motor to winterize it. After trying to start it for a couple
times, I finally manage to start it. Unfortunately, I cannot see the
telltail water stream coming out from the motor cooling system. All I
see is some smoke coming from the hole where the water stream is
supposed to come out from. Despite the fact that the motor temperature
was not overheating (only run it for 30 seconds or so), I decided to
turn off the motor just to be in the safe side.

My question is:

Should I expect to see the telltail water stream coming out from the
motor as soon as I start the motor?

Yes.

Does the motor need to reach a
certain temperature before the water stream coming out?

No.

The impeller is shot. Any easy replacement. Here is one source for the
replacement kit.

http://www.outboardparts.com/mercury...repairkits.htm

" JimH" not telling you @ pffftt.com wrote in message
. ..

wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

The impeller is shot. An easy replacement. Here is one source for the
replacement kit.

http://www.outboardparts.com/mercury...repairkits.htm

edit ('an', not 'any')

JimH wrote:
wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

Thanks for pointing out that I likely need to replace the impeller.
And also thanks for the link to the impeller kit; I quite likely need
to order one.

Now, I need to write down on my boat-owner manual to expect to see the
telltail right after I have started the motor -- to prevent it from
confusing me again.

Jay Chan

wrote in message
oups.com...

Now, I need to write down on my boat-owner manual to expect to see the
telltail right after I have started the motor -- to prevent it from
confusing me again.

Seriously??? Do you plan on looking at the manual every time you start the
motor? Checking for cooling water should be as instinctive as making sure
your dick's not about to be bitten by your pants zipper.

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...

Now, I need to write down on my boat-owner manual to expect to see the
telltail right after I have started the motor -- to prevent it from
confusing me again.

Seriously??? Do you plan on looking at the manual every time you start the
motor? Checking for cooling water should be as instinctive as making sure
your dick's not about to be bitten by your pants zipper.

Yes, absolutely seriously. I have only used the remote-start control
to started a motor for the grand total of may be 4 times (in two
occasions) in my life (discounting the number of times when I started
small motor in rental boat by hand pulling to start). I still have a
learning curve to climb through.

Jay Chan