posted to rec.boats.building

Default Boat Plans

I would like to get started in building boats.
Could someone suggest a book of plans that would be good for a beginner
builder?

I am looking for plans for a hydroplane for now with ideas on going with
other styles later.

I have tried a couple of items off ebay, just poorly scanned old
magazine articles.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You
Bob

On Sat, 27 Jan 2007 17:09:51 -0600, wrote:

I would like to get started in building boats.
Could someone suggest a book of plans that would be good for a beginner
builder?

I am looking for plans for a hydroplane for now with ideas on going with
other styles later.

I have tried a couple of items off ebay, just poorly scanned old
magazine articles.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You
Bob

Bob,

You may have been seeing ripoffs from this site:
http://www.svensons.com/boat/
Many of the designs are over 60 years old but for the home builder
some are quite good. Methods of construction generally have changed
but for a higher speed boat screwing and glueing as are done in the
plans in this site are the least I would dare to do.
It would be well worth your time downloading the plans at this site
and studying them. While the scanned images are from magazines they
are plenty good enough to build a boat, as many have been.
Kiyu

posted to rec.boats.building

Do a web search on wood boat plans and you will get many such as bateau.com
and glenl.com and many others Wooden boat Magazine has ads for their plans
plus plans from, other advertisers.

Don Dando

wrote in message
I would like to get started in building boats.
Could someone suggest a book of plans that would be good for a beginner
builder?

I am looking for plans for a hydroplane for now with ideas on going with
other styles later.

I have tried a couple of items off ebay, just poorly scanned old
magazine articles.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You
Bob

posted to rec.boats.building

I would like to thank you and Kiyu for your advice.

I looked at some of the plans on the sites you recommended and think I
will order from them. I have the feeling that the plans will be a lot
easier to follow than just scans from magazines, at least for starting out.

I assume that they will be a little more detailed.

Bob

On Jan 27, 6:09 pm, wrote:
I would like to get started in building boats.
Could someone suggest a book of plans that would be good for a beginner
builder?

I am looking for plans for a hydroplane for now with ideas on going with
other styles later.

I have tried a couple of items off ebay, just poorly scanned old
magazine articles.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You
Bob

Try the public library. Ottawa public library has about 90 books on
boatbuilding.
Harold Payson and Thomas F Jones are good for playwood boats.
Payson's are simpller Bolger designs. Jones are better looking and
faster.

posted to rec.boats.building

You might try looking at "Glen L" Marine. They have plans for any type
of boat you can think of. They also have various books.

On Jan 29, 9:47 am, "Wm Watt" wrote:
On Jan 27, 6:09 pm, wrote:

I would like to get started in building boats.
Could someone suggest a book of plans that would be good for a beginner
builder?

I am looking for plans for a hydroplane for now with ideas on going with
other styles later.

I have tried a couple of items off ebay, just poorly scanned old
magazine articles.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

A Recreational Boating Message Skipper General 0 October 12th 05 06:42 PM
Bought a Reinel 26' FamilySailor ASA 290 August 11th 04 02:29 PM
Dictionary of Paddling Terms :-) Mike McCrea General 3 June 30th 04 11:52 PM